1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Rib Pins?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, May 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I found a real nice Winchester Model 12 Trap (1955-vintage), and bought it just last Wednesday. While I was shooting it today, the rib pops off! The rib was dovetailed onto the barrel and secured by two solid pins about half-way down. The pins were sheared! It looks like all I need to do is re-install the rib onto the dovetails and insert two new pins. My question is, would there be any problem in using correctly sized roll pins? I looked at Brownells, Numrich and Gun Parts Corp and could not even see these pins on any parts list. Also, should I Loctite the pins in, whatever pins I end up using? Thanks for any advice.

LA in MA

2. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

look to see how much clearance there is between the reciever and the rib on the barrel .If there is less tan say 10thousand it might be the cause also ...

3. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I just took a real close look and the (sheared) pins that were in there were roll pins. Did Winchester use roll pins for the original rib installation? So maybe I don't have to use Winchester-fabricated roll pins?

LA in MA

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dont think Winchester used roll pins. You should check with the Model 12 gunsmiths.

5. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

They were not roll pins.

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I would guess that the holes are drilled out to accept the roll pins. Original pins may be a loose fit. I can't imagine why the roll pins would shear unless they are very soft, poorly fitted, or, as another poster suggested, the rib is butted up against the extension. Use a solid pin that fits the hole would be my recommendation.

7. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

A machinist friend informed me that the correct term for the sheared pins used to secure the rib on my Model 12 was 'spring pin'. Anyway, we debated a number of fixes, and his best idea, which we ended up using, was to fabricate a single 'U'-shaped pin out of solid pin-capable material. The holes were 1/16" and we found a large paper-clip that fit the holes perfectly. Once we made the 'U'-pin to the correct specs all we needed to do was to tap it home and bend the two extruding legs (about 4mm each) toward each other and we were done. A simple fix that will never get noticed unless pointed out. I really wanted to thank my friend with a six-pack but he doesn't drink!

LA in MA

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I guess someone out there will translate. Glad you got the job done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

winchester model 12 rib installation

winchester model 12 rib pins

winchester model 12 two pin rib