1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 qyuestion re the chamber ring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hookedonshooting, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Model 12 Experts, can you tell me how the chamber actually wears? Is it due to friction? Does the diameter increase due to wear? Thickness get thinner, thus the need to adjust the screw out over time? Im curious cause mine is fine right now, but i have a new one that needs to be fitted and thought it might be wise to do it now (using the specs from my current one) to avoid any down time with the gun. Please dont reply and say "take it to a gunsmith". Im a DIYer. Thank you.

THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN ANSWERED - Jump down to last pages to avoid my dumb questions. And THANKS to the few that gave me the education

2. Hookedonshooting

Am i asking dumb questions, it that why no one is answering?? I ve done it b4. lol.

3. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why are you interested in replacing your chamber ring? You stated the one you have now is fine.
    Fred-napawino

4. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

Replacing the chamber ring is to correct headspace, caused PRIMARILY by wear to the locking surfaces.

You're welcome.

5. Hookedonshooting

The reason i am wanting to have a second one ready is due to the fact i had to adjust it yesterday (turning the screw out further) and i dont know how many more turns it has left on it. I may be completely wrong thus the questions on how it wears. Turning the screw would make me believe the ring is somehow getting "thinner", since the screw holds the ring in place.

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

For quite a few years I watched Herb Orre put in new rings.

He was somewhat fanatical on chamber ring replacement.

He claimed his rings were extra hard.

He fit them by reaming from the muzzle end until his go and no go gages were correct.

He then selected the proper threaded bushing that tightened the gun to his liking.

I heard him tell people not to disassemble the gun every time to clean it.

I would imagine Stu Wright uses similar methods.

Regards.....Gerald

7. Hookedonshooting

Thanks Gerald, was told the same thing from my brother not to disassemble. I am antsy and always like to have a back up plan. Was told awhile back there is a specific drill/reamer used but since forgot what it was. That got it close with some minor finish work still needed. You must live near Dayton.

8. JohnStefanowicz

JohnStefanowicz Member

According to my experience, your worries are not necessary. You might be too conscientious. When the gun needs it, it'll let you know. John

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The chamber ring takes special cutting tools and you need a GO/NO GO Gauge.

I doubt you can do this yourself.

One tool comes thru the muzzle and cuts the Ring Open, and it cuts the ring for the shell base rim.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. Hookedonshooting

Gents thank you for the info. Barfin, I beieve Herb Orre was in Dayton OH. I'm in Cinnti and a kinds of stories about his barrel work. And the info you gave is hard to father without picks. My barrel was wiggling a little side to side. Not alot. My brother took the barrel out of the extention, there was one screw on the end of the barrel, that he turned one full turn, and it solved the problem. That screw rests up against the chamber ring.

Just for kicks, what does the gun do when its time to replace the chamber ring?

11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

The bushing has numbers on it to denote thread position. Various numbers are or were available.

It's the interference fit of the threads that tightens the barrel assy. to the receiver. Although it can be adjusted via the screw and lock piece, I would imagine few wear to that point.

The ring is held in by a screw or screws but to my knowledge has no adjustment.

I have about 30,000 rounds thru mine and the headspace is still within specs.

Actually, a 31 Remington works similar and also has adjustment.

I would have it checked out by a quality smith.

Wrights is a good choice

Regards....Gerald

12. todddietrich

todddietrich Active Member

I had Stu Wright look at one of mine. Among the other things wrong, the adjusting ring was out of adjustment. The rings originally were marked A, B or no marking at all. They also made some aftermarket rings marked 1 through 9. I asked Stu which ring do I need. He said that he has a box of them and it really comes down to trial and error.

regards,

Todd

13. Hookedonshooting

Barfin, thanks for the education. Mike

14. Hookedonshooting

Barfin, i watched the vid. Do all m12s have that adjustable sleeve? Didnt notice one on mine but i wasnt looking for it either. My 62' only has one screw. And i trust my brother but backing out the screw as a means to eliminate the side to side wiggle almost sounds like it doesnt make sense (gerryrig). And my brother has been a m12 nut for 35+ years. Your thoughts? Another question, this vid shows a wiggle in the mag extention, possible that just the barrel was loose, not the extention?

15. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

All M-12s have an adjusting ring on the barrel. The ring is threaded on the BARREL not the extension. The ring is adjusted by removing the screw at the breech end of the barrel near the ring, and pulling back the "keyed" keeper/lock. Turning the ring one way or the other ONE notch, will tighten or loosen the barrel assy to the receiver.

Ordering a new "oversized" adjusting ring is not always that simple. Even though a pair of rings have the same numbers stamped on them, they can fit differently. That's why guys like Stu have several boxes of them. Its a trial and error type of thing. Anyone would be better off; if needing a new ring, to send the gun to Stu and have him install it, otherwise you may end up with a box full of rings also.

The headspace ring is attached to the receiver as the picture shows above. Headspace rings do need special tooling to install. The reamer for cutting the inside diameter to match the chamber, and the reamer for cutting the rim cut are pulled from the muzzle end. There is no room in the receiver to make a straight cut from the breech end.

The M-12 is one of a very few guns you can shoot without the barrel being attached. Years ago, I would make a few dollars while working at a gun club, telling shooters their M-12s where so weak they could not shoot themselves out of a brown paper bag. Once they took the $5 bet, I proceeded to take their M-12 out on the range, load the gun with a trap load, removed the barrel, and shoot the gun into a brown grocery bag. As always, the bag contained all of the shot. Without the chamber to contain the pressure, the plastic hull would expand, soaking up the energy. Yes, I did need to cut the plastic to remove the shell.

Doug

16. Hookedonshooting

THANKS ALL, I took the M12 apart, and now all the info makes sense. The youtube video was extremely helpful. What i "missed" when my brother was doing his "thing with the screw" was the simple and slight adjustment to the barrel extension, moving it a notch. Since the screw wasnt flush, I assumed.... Anyway, got 3 notches left. How often do you have to bake this adjustment? How much tread is still on her tires? Thanks again, really theres nothing like a new dog learning tricks from old dogs on how the gun works.

17. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The screw head should sit "proud" when tightened.

As was mentioned earlier, the more often you disassemble the gun, the sooner you will need to make adjustments.

18. Hookedonshooting

That it does, and seeing how there is there relief cut on the receiver , theres only one way to put it on. Man do I feel dumb. I will admit it a third time.

19. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

No such thig as "being dumb" if you're willing to learn.