1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 questions

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by yodes, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodes

yodes TS Member

Picked up this Model 12 in a 2-gun deal, and had some questions. How can I tell if it is a regular Model 12 vs. a Model 12 Skeet? Are there different kinds of vent ribs, and can you tell which this is? It is factory, the Winchester proof mark is offset to the rib. Barrel is marked with all the basics, choke WS-1. Serial # puts it as 1963 manufacture. Gun is in pretty decent shape, has been shot. Wood seems nice, although it needs refinished. If its a Skeet Model, value estimates? Thanks for any help.

Steve

2. yodes

yodes TS Member

Thanks Pat. Yes, the proof mark on the receiver is also offset, and it has the duck bill extension. Is refinishing the wood a home job on something like this, (never done it before) or would it probably be wiser to find someone? I've read the refinishing threads, not sure I have the patience. Thanks again.

Steve

3. Urbans

Urbans Member

If you have an interest in selling the gun please e-mail me. Thanks, Ed Freise.

4. Murphy

Murphy Member

what do you mean by 'duck bill extension, thanks,

5. CO - 369

CO - 369 TS Member

Look at rib extension on reciever. Now lay a mallard next to it facing rear. Should see a resemblance. May substitute a gadwall.

6. yodes

yodes TS Member

Here is a picture of the rib extension, which looks like the aforementioned duck bill.

Steve

7. Murphy

Murphy Member

I see it now, thanks but why is this good?

8. Murphy

Murphy Member

I see it now, thanks but why is this good?

9. yodes

yodes TS Member

Hopefully one of the Model 12 experts will get on and explain the various Winchester vent ribs that were available. Blue Book shows a solid rib, a Win. milled vent rib, and a Win. special vent rib.

Steve

10. AdamsRibs

AdamsRibs TS Member

Steve
    Is the bottom of the receiver extension (just to the rear of the forearm wood)
    stamped 'SKEET'? I think they still stamped them there in '63, I know the earlier ones were. I agree pretty much with Pat's estimate, probably something like $700-$800 in it's current condition. Were it a gauge other than 12, the value would be considerably higher.

Adam

11. yodes

yodes TS Member

I don't see where it is stamped Skeet. That's why I wondered how you could tell the different models, if it was the wood, stamped, etc. Thanks for the help.

Steve

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

The WS-1 is a skeet choked barrel!

13. yodes

yodes TS Member

I know it is choked skeet, actually I think Winchester or others called WS-1 skeet in, and I think there was a WS-2 choke also called skeet out, a little more than IC I think, but I figured there was more to it being a Skeet Grade Model 12 than that. I think these were from the days of low gun skeet.

To me, the wood looks better than a run of the mill Model 12, so I was trying to figure out if there was a way to confirm it was a Skeet Grade, though it is not so marked. Also the difference between the Win. Special Vent Rib, and the Win. milled VR. Again, thanks for all the help, and I haven't decided whether to sell or keep it or not, to those who have inquired.

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.