1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

model 12 question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dbcook, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

have any of you ever seen a field grade 3 pin model 12? have any of you ever seen a field grade factory donut post gun? if so, what is the difference between a field & trap in either of the aforementioned guns other than the wood ? thanks dwain

2. fishguts

fishguts Member

Trap guns should have a cartridge guide on the carrier. Middle bead may or may not be there on field gun. Some trap guns had red front bead. Yhat's all I can think of.

Wayne

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

In the glory days of American gun manufacturers, you could literally get any thing. I have seen documented M 12 Trap guns in 16 & 20 gauge. I owned a documented Pigeon grade, 12 gauge, field 30 full with the Simmons rib and factory proof marks visible.

4. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i know a man has a 16 gauge black diamond. pretty rare gun. he also has an unfired stainless steel black diamond that has never had the brown applied to the barrel. i have seen pictures of pigeon grade field guns but have never seen one in person. simmons put ribs on winchestrs that the factory sent to them & then sold them for a few bucks less i am told. i have a friend that shoots one of these.

5. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

A field choked three pin or donut post would be rare but I'm sure they made some. Each gun would be documented on its own merits, but proof marks in the right place is not documentation enough because Simmons had and has the stamps.

6. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

Mr Thompson hit it right on the head. Model 12's could be ordered pretty much any way you desired. Never pay the big money for a "rare" Model 12 without some documentation or the advice of a true Model 12 guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.