1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MODEL 12 QUESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jim brown, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this but Felix Bedlan of Bedlans Sporting Goods in Fairbury Nebraska could give you the answer. 402 729 6112

jim brown

2. fishguts

fishguts Member

Never heard, read ,saw, was told or imagined one.......

Wayne

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

the .410 Model 12 was named Winchester model 42.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Does it say Model 12 anywhere on the gun?

5. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

p3at. At one time there was a gunsmith in a state called Michigan. His son was a skeet shooter. Maybe you heard of him Ed Sedelicki--spelling. He converted guns for his son Ken. They took ma model 42 and put a model 12 barrel over the outside to give it the weight and feel of his 12 gauge gun. They also did that with the 20 and 28 gauge guns so all of them were exactly the same. You might be looking at one of those. This was back in the early to mid 60's. If that was the case it might say model 12 on the barrel but be on a 42 frame. please let me know as I had seen one one time and never again. Ken used to be with winchester as a rep but that was a long time ago. Not sure where he is now. Joe

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I would be interested in purchasing one of the Model 42s that were modified with the larger Model 12 barrel installed over the .410 barrel. I believe Barney Hartman used one as well as John Satterwhite. There are two of them in my gun club, but they have no ownership provenance. I think there were a bunch of them out there at one time. They are buried pretty deep right now. From my experience, they were probably not all made by the same person. The two in my gun club are of two entirely different quality levels.

7. kirbythegunsmith

kirbythegunsmith Member

I have been in the presence of a full sized Winchester Model 12 marked .410 ga. and I believe it held serial number 8. This was in no way related to the Model 42 in any regard.

I was at the Tulsa gun show many years back and one display table with unusual Winchester shotguns was there holding that example. There was also a full stainless Model 12 20 ga. that I remember. I didn't have any camera or I might've gotten the visual remembrance.

The .410 had a full 12 ga. barrel size at the chamber end that slowly tapered out past the barrel/magazine band juncture and had a more conventional outer diameter past the magazine band.

Just imagine the feeding issues with needing such an offset to the shell stop tip and specially shaped carrier section. With the gun laying "in state" it was not possible to work the action or closely inspect parts. I think there was an $8000 tag on that gun, as well.

Been there, seen that.

Kirby

8. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

Motordoc.....I remember the model 42 winchesters that you speak of. The name of the shooter who shot them was KEN Sedlecki. Never knew his dad. In 1965 at the the NSSA championships in Savannah Ken was shooting one in the .410 event and I had the chance to look at it. This gun had a 20 guage model 12 barrel over the .410. barrel. Ken, a super nice fella, said the reason was the fact that when he looked over the bigger barrel his "leads" looked the same as when he was shooting the larger guns. Made sence to me. Ken later married his sweetheart, Kathkeen Mcginn of Houston. He worked a short time for Federal, longer at Winchester, and finished his careeer with Smith and Wesson. On a sad note Ken passed away but Kathleen still promotes skeet, especially the Museaum at the home grounds in San Antonio. I will remember Ken and Kathleen fondly. Both were outstanding shooters and the NSSA is a better organization because of folks like them....Gary Smith...Meridian, Ms

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

It is probably one of those sleeved barrel skeet guns. I would be interested in seeing pictures of it, if it is for sale. Thanks for sending pictures to wilmrph@verizon.net Bill Murphy

10. John Stefanowicz

John Stefanowicz TS Member

WTB Model 12 Book
    Looking for Ronald Stadt's book, Winchester Shotguns and Shotshells. Thanks. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

barney hartman skeet shooter