1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Question --

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I've fired paper and plastic shells through all my shotguns including my Mod 12 12 ga. I can't think of any modifications that would need to be made to shoot paper or plastic shells.

2. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

Probably had the choke opened a bit.

Jim

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Yeah, Pat's got it, the early chambers were shorter on ? models and extending them to the 2 3/4" length was the probable alteration for modern shells.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Federal rolled crimp papers could be used in the 2 9/16" M12's w/o a problem as the length of the case was less than 2 3/4 when shot.

5. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Most manufacturers are said to have stopped making the short (2 9/16") chambers and went over to the now-standard 2 3/4" 16 gauge shell in 1929. The SN of this gun could reveal when it was assembled. If it was prior to 1929, it probably had the short chamber and that chamber may have been lengthened to 2 3/4" to accept post-1929 2 3/4" ammunition though 2 9/16" 16 gauge continued to be available for many years.

The change from paper to plastic had zero effect on the gun it was shot as far as the materiel the tube was made of is concerned. I shot the two in all of my 16s and there was a considerable difference in the patterns thrown by the paper versus the plastic caused by the paper shell's construction. They had an over-shot wad that appeared to cause every pattern to have a rather large hole, due perhaps to the wad interfering with the flight of the shot. These big holes went west when the plastic pie-closure was introduced. Remember that for a period, some plastic shells were made with over-shot wads and roll-crimps. and most slug loads had no over-shot wad, the roll-crimp held everything in place.

Hope this helps.

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My Mod 12 was built in 28 i've had no problemms with 2 3/4 shells maybe Winchester made the cahnge earlier ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.