1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MODEL 12 QUESTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ddrsuz, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Last weekend, I had an opportunity to shoot a Model 12 that had been in the family for a pile of years. The serial number puts it as a 1916 gun, the stock was refinished some time back and looks super. It is a 30" full choke. The question is: the 13yd. pattern when shot with 1-1/8 ounce 8's shows a 6" diameter, fairly evenly distributed pattern (all individual pellet holes). If I were to shoot the same load at the same distance with my more modern Beretta with Optima chokes, I would have a fairly clean blast hole about 1" in diameter with fringe pellet holes around that.
    The 35 yd patterns I shot with the Model 12 were more diffused than with my Beretta.
    Is this a difference between the definition of a full choke over the years or has this barrel been "widened" by use?

d

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Your barrel could be partly "shot out" , especially if it was used a lot with the older ammo with no shot cups. Larry Evans

3. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

ddrsuz.....Back in the M12 days "full" choke was a nominal .040" restriction shot through a .729 bore and the ammo was card and felt wads with naked shot. Winchester actually shot patterns at 40 yds and adjusted the choke on test barrels until they consistently shot a 70 percent pattern at 40 yds. A "full" choke today is considered to be .030 restriction and I don't hear much as to what the pattern percentage is supposed to be. Shooting a "modern" shell through the vintage M12 full choke barrel will probably yield pretty erratic results due to being overchoked.

Jere

4. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Thanks guys, the gun and a vest was found in my uncle's garage or hall closet when we cleaned it out after he died. I remember the family having a .22 that my dad did not want in our house when we were little, but the 12 gauge was a mystery, known to the family only by story. When we found it after my uncle's death, it had probably not been shot for 40 years, now my nephew is shooting it for pheasant / ducks.

Since it is a 1916 gun, is there any reason to feel like it ought to only be shot occassionally and generally just kept as a trophy, or do you feel like you just blast away with it and if something breaks and you can't get the part, just make it an "nonworking" trophy of my grandfather at that time?

dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.