1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 question on Y model

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Rip12, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

One of the first guns I fired was a model 12. I have a 1950s heavy duck and a 1927 field. I used my dads trap for some time now thinking about getting one. He and the gun are gone so I have no access to it.

I recenly shot two model 12 traps and it was like I never stopped shooting them.

What is different with the Y model 12s?
    Is there a salt stock issue? I have seen some references of this "salt stock" on some guns being sold.
    Information would be helpful on the diffenence.

For you old timers I am just 33 and love model 12s.

Thanks,
    Matt

2. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

The original model 12 were taken out of production in 1964. They were reissued in the early 1970's. 72 I believe, these were the Y models the difference between the two.

The pre 64's were all machined parts the Y's were stamped parts and some say not worth the trouble I have owned both and never saw a difference on the line. Then again I did not shoot them to the extent that some have.

Bob Lawless

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

In 1964 Winchester officially stopped production of the model 12. They used up the remaining parts for a few years. When they resumed production they prefaced the serial number with the letter Y hence the y series. The salt stock problem was a Browning issue with some of their guns.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

The original M-12 had a machined receiver. The Y series were first cast and then machined to specifications. All are fine guns. The original M-12 seem to have greater market value.

Pat Ireland

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

don't under estimate the Y models. They have gotten much stronger in value as of late. The last two I sold were $1200 & $1100. I have shot many 12's and there is no difference when shooting. The pre 64's will bring more especially the milled rib guns

6. coyote_198

coyote_198 TS Member

If anybody is interested in a Y model 12, I have one I'd like to sell. E-Mail me at bow377@msn.com and I'll give you the details.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Salt cured wood affected other manufacturers than just Browning. Weatherby and Winchester along with others bought some wood from the same Major supplier , just not in the same Quantities as Browning. Jeff

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Usually much more shootable with a slightly higher impact than earlier models!!

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Buy this Pre-64 Trap for $1,500.00 with a pull and release trigger . This gun has not had a rebule as it has not shot much .

10. coyote_198

coyote_198 TS Member

MARK JOHNSON,I DELETED YOUR E-MAIL,I HIT THE WRONG KEY, PLEASE E-MAIL AGAIN.

11. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

I also have a Y model that I would sell $800 and shipping email me for pics and details

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.