1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Question - Model 1912 Trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bobcatv, Sep 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

I recently saw a Model 12 that has a barrel stamped 1912. Was the Model 12 stamped with the "TRAP" on the receiver made with the barrel stamped 1912? It has a rib and duck bill rib. It also has matching serial numbers on the receiver and barrel, but the s/n on the barrel is very faint which may be due to it being created later with a different forend?...The gun is for sale and I want to make sure it's not a made up "TRAP".

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Timbob44

Timbob44 Member

Two dogs is correct. I do not belive Winchester made a trap in 1912. If you post the s/n someone may be able to help you with a build date. Thanks,Tim

3. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

The first few years of production the Model 12 was called the Model 1912.

DB

4. bobcatv

bobcatv TS Member

It is a 2 pin with a very thin forend compared to later model 12's. I'll track down the serial number today for checking the build date.

Thanks for the info.

5. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

Chances are it's not a factory rib. The 2 pin milled vent rib wasn't introduced until the early 20's though you will see a few that were made as early as 1919 which was after winchester changed the model to winchester model 12 from 1912 they are the same guns just different stamping. Simmons and others would install duckbill style ribs that looked similar to the factory duckbill rib but if installed on a field gun the groove in the top of the receiver or matting on top of the receiver would be visable under the duckbill. The very early trap and tournament grade guns had solid ribs untill 1919 when you started to see both solid and 2 pin ribs

pumpgunner

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I once owned a mod 12 Black Diamond. Date of mfg was 1914. SN# 48xxx It was a solid rib, stamped "TRAP". Larry Evans

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

12questionmodel

12questionmodle