1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 question about bolt lockup

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 333t, Nov 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 333t

333t Member

I have couple Model 12's I have started to use and noticed that when the gun is in battery (ready to fire), there is a certain amount of vertical play in the bolt that can be seen by pushing up on the lifter from the bottom. When the guns are dry fired, the bolts are cammed more tightly to the top of the receiver. I have looked at other Model 12's at the gun club and some show the same up and down play and others do not.

My two guns function fine and it does not appear to be a timing issue but maybe evidence of wear to certain parts. I see no apparent wear to the interior of the receiver or the bolt. I am wondering if a certain amount of vertical play in the bolt (in battery) is normal on a Model 12 or not. The firing pin retractor exerts some downward spring pressure and this could be the source of the play. Any of you experienced Model 12 owners have an opinion on this? Thanks.

Phil

2. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Phil, On the model 12 you have to be very careful to make sure the lump on the end of the slide bar-- that little ledge on the very tip that lifts the bolt into place is not worn. If it is-- the bolf can upon firing slide out of battery causing metal to shear off the lower corner of the bolt recess in the reciever and redering your reciever as scrap. Have a competent gunsmith ascertain if there is sufficien bolt lift into the bolt recess and thereby avoid this happening. On my duck guns-- I hunt with several M12's- I have had them welded up to increase bolt lift. I shoot Kent fasteel loads 3" in all my duck guns--- twenty years and no apparent problem yet-- thousands of steel BB's and 2's. Phil in Glade Park Colo.

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

depends on the year it was made late guns fit tight and will not slam fire the older 12 will slam fire that is why the bolt moves sometimes with the guns that have some wear you have to hold the fore arm forward to get it to fire rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.