1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 problem

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Von Riesen, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Von Riesen

Von Riesen Member

A Y model 12 when fired the forearm does not release you have to push it forward a little release it. I have several older models that is not the case. Just to new or not been shot enough. Thanks

2. Bluegoose

Bluegoose Well-Known Member

Are you dry firing the gun when this happens; if so, that is normal.
    If this happens during a "live fire", it may be an issue of not having a good grip on the forearm while the gun is firing.
    My limited experience with Y guns has been that they didn't cycle as smoothly as the pre 64s.

Bill Hom and Roger C thanked this.
  3. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

you may have a broken slide lock spring possibly the bottom one. pm me and i will give you my no, and we can talk. i am a mdl.12 junkie. ps. it is my favorite gun to engrave thnks howard

4. Cowboy Rick

Cowboy Rick Well-Known Member

Blue goose is right.......they are designed to release on the recoil.

5. Peddler2

Peddler2 Member

Dry firing you will see this. Actually firing a shell, the recoil will release the slide

6. justanother99

justanother99 Member

Tell your brother Jerry "HI" from Mark in Reno!!!

7. Von Riesen

Von Riesen Member

I can not pm anyone because of the 50 post business, I have used this site for many years, bought and sold stuff under veeper now I have this 50 thing and I just do not use the
    site like I use to. So pm are out and I am not sure that I look at this enough to get to 50 thanks, so simon I do not know what to do.

8. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

What Howard is saying is that there are two springs that engage the hammer on the the slide release. When the hammer is cocked on spring will give it tention to lock the slide. The other spring will when the hammer is in the fired position will tention the release to release the slide.

If you are comfortable taking the trigger plate out of the action, the shell stop may fall out when it comes out. With the trigger plate out the hammer should be cocked, there should be tention tipping the slide release up at the front and down at the back. Then let the hammer into the fired position the spring tention should change to holding the front down. If that doesn't happen there is a broken spring.
    While the trigger plate is out you can look at the front end of the slide release it should be reasonably smooth, not perfectly smooth. Any large burrs can be lightly stoned to smooth it out. Once in a few thousand M12s you may actually see a problem here but it is pretty rare!

Al

9. Von Riesen

Von Riesen Member

Thanks to you all I will check it out today and report what I have found. I think that I understand. Von