1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by duckhunter331, May 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duckhunter331

duckhunter331 TS Member

I have a made-up model 12 that I use for trapshooting. There is one problem with it, it doesn't like certain factory loads. It will shoot AA, Estates, it will also shoot reloads. With Federals, and any kind of Remingtons it will hit the primer but not enough to make it go off. It usually does this two times per box of shells. If I put the shell in a second time it will go off. We have tried a different trigger assembly, firing pin, chamber bushing, tried tightening the barrel to the receiver. If you have any ideas that I could try it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Travis

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Travis, check the bolt engagement in the receiver slot. If it's not going all the way in, your slide may be worn on the end. To check this out, put an offending shell in and close the action, push up on the bottom of the bolt to see if it raises further then try firing it? Sure sounds like a worn slide or a head space problem to me. Good luck. Hap

3. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

Duckhunter, Simple solution.. Don't buy Federal's. I have had problem's in at least 4 different model 12's. On another post I explained how the same gun fires every AA or STS and extracts them smoothly, but with the federal's 2,3,or4 per box won't go off. If you put them back in the chamber and try it again, it goes off. Beside's the fact that they don't extract nearly as easy as other shells. Some so called "expert"'s tell me that the gun is the issue, and it may be more than just the primer, But ALL of these gun's have worked flawlessly for years and are all of a sudden having chamber ring problem's or the head spacing isn't right and still do function flawlessly with any other shell than a Federal. You tell me! With cheap Winchester's the extraction isn't as easy as with the AA's or STS's, but they all go off EVERY time(at least in my experiance)Same gun's.

Your issue may go deeper, But I would Stick with the shell's that go off the first time.

Thanks, Mike

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Quality control on shells is very very lax. Don't try to fix a gun that is not actually broken.

5. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

Like said above, either the slide end is worn, not bringing the bolt high enough in the reciever to line the bolt safe for the fireing pin to pass, or the bolt safe is worn. That 12 should smash any primer.
    What do the ones that are hit look like?, are they deep or just touched?

ol 12

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

ol 12 shooter, that slide end wearing down gradually has caused more receivers to be rewelded/rebuilt than anything else I'm aware of.

Gary, how do you know there isn't a problem? Without seeing the gun, it's all guesswork and past experiences that form my opinions.

The "new" cheapie shells with steel heads sux too, they ain't goin in my ol mod. 12s either. Hap

7. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

UPDATE

I shot the cheapo Winchester's through the same gun's today that I was having problem's with the federal's last week, never missed a beat. They all went off flawlessly. Think what you want, say what you want, I personally think the federal's are junk!

Thanks, Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.