1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 (Pre-64 or Y-Series)Which is Better

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by charlevillecat, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlevillecat

charlevillecat TS Member

Which Winchester Model 12 do you gentleman prefer and why?

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Is this a joke?

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Why is it so difficult to just get a straight answer here?

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I prefer the Winchester Model 12's that are pre 64 because I own several of them ... I had a Y Model at one time that had the most beautiful wood on it you ever saw, sorry I sold it ... I sold a bunch of pre 64 Model 12's that had been sitting in the safe for a few years, the people who bought them couldn't hand me the money fast enough ... I never had to advertise them, just mentioned to a few people I was going to sell some, and the next thing I knew they were gone ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. charlevillecat

charlevillecat TS Member

Listen,this is no joke and I know what I think, it may be right or wrong.I just want input from the Trapshooting Experts out there just for educational sake.

6. charlevillecat

charlevillecat TS Member

thank you WPT,that was a educational answer I do appreciate it.

7. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

As I understand them, the pre-64s were machined recievers from froged steel as the Y-models were cast steel. The pre-64 was all hand fitted and the barrels were "tuned" better. The Y models were made up of leftover parts and other parts of lesser grade or fit. Full chokes on the pre's were .034-.040" and well polished. The Y's were closer to .040-.043" and also shot well. Pigeon-grades recieved a better fit and smoothness than the off-the-shelf guns which are still great by todays standards.
    I know many Mod-12 shooters and the old guns they use, will shoot and pattern today with ANYTHING on the market, period. At a "meat shoot" where distance is a must, more often than not, the meat is brought home with a Mod 12.......merlyn..pre-64 or Y.....

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I own both types. Y models tend to have better looking wood.

Both handle, shoot and last the same.

Both will shoot excellent patterns with just about anything that you can screw into the chamber.

Purists will pay a bit more for pre 64s.

9. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I shoot a pre 64 but one that came from the factory with whats called a Win. Special Rib. Ser 1,795xxx. Some say Simmons put on the rib for Win..

I also had a skeet model around the same ser. no., same rib.

They shoot fine but the workmanship, in my opinion, is not as good as the earlier guns. Not as smooth as earlier guns.

None the less, mine has held up well for 34 years with nothing more than a spring kit and a hammer cocking rod.

Like everything else condition is everything.

Regards....Gerald

10. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Merlyn is right the Y models were not the quality the pre 64s were.

Bo

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It is true that the Pre 64's demand a higher price. The idea being that the parts are beter made and that the older guns have more hand work in it and a higher level of pride in workmanship. I own a gun that produced in 1928 and wouldn't trade it for 5 other shot guns. My guess is you'll find owners of the new Model 12's post 64 that will tell you the same thing. i've shot bouth and they are boht smooth actions and I've never had a problem with either pre or post guns.

12. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Winchester, in their "heyday" was quite the leader in testing and quality for the "average Joe". Barrels were tested with many loads and variations and chokes for performance. The designs are still the standard today. Fit and finish were the leader in the industry. Professional shooters were sent to "sell" the products for all aspects of shooting. Winchester sparred no cost and that was probably their problem along about 1960. They did a test on a shotgun barrel to see how many rounds one would take. They quit somewhere over a million and a half and the barrel was still within factory tolerances.
    After 1964, all that quality went to $hit and cheaper became the goal. Mods 1200, 1300, 1400, etc have it made in a foriegn country by a low bidder - 101, etc.
    An excellent book by George Madis titled "The Model 12" is a good read for anyone interested in Model 12s, Winchester, and guns in general......merlyn..ps - damn, I sure would like to have that Model 12 that Roy Rogers is holding!!!

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've owned both and shot both. I prefer the Y-Model because I believe it shoots a bit higher. I pardoned both of those a long time ago in favor of a K-80. The lock time is equally long on both!!

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Model 12 that Roy Rogers had was for sale by the guy who owned it when the old Phoenix Club was still around, I had a chance to buy it and didn't ... I was having one of those "was not thinking days" when I told the guy I wasn't interested ... I honestly don't remember but think he was from Minnesota ... Not the first mistake I ever made but one that still stands out in my mind ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

barfin,i am fairly certain that the gun roy bought from clark gable for 10 cents is in the roy rogers museum they moved from victorville to branson.

16. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

charlevillecat,are you fishing? you have sold more model 12 parts than winchester has..lol. i have even bought a few from you. dwain

17. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Just as a point of interest for anyone that cares the Roy Rogers Museum in Branson MO is closed. It closed 12/12/09 I have posted a link to the notice of the closing. The notice is written by Roy's Son Dusty.

There is a mention of liquidation of the Museum's contents so if you guys stay on your toes you might get a chance to buy one yet.

Bob Lawless

18. charlevillecat

charlevillecat TS Member

Hi bdc61451,nope not fishing,well maybe in a sort of way.The reason is I have a Y-Model as well as a pre-64 and was trying to decide which one to keep.yep sold a lot of parts,I love Model 12's and rally enjoy knowing that I have helped someone keep a Model 12 going.My great Uncle gave me his when I was 18 years old and have had a mania for them ever since.My biggest mistake was 15 years ago,I could have got a model 12 Pigeon Grade all Original 28 gauge Skeet for a Beretta 682(OF WHICH i HAD 1100.00 INTO)PLUS 1000.00,the gun would have stood me 2100.00 I passed on the deal and every time I think of it I feel like vomiting.Hope you where always happy with your parts.

19. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

For you Mod. 12 buffs Riffle has a new Mod. 12 Trap in the box unfired.

How many of these you see now days?

I should of said Dave Riffle guns of Ft. Meyers FL.

But,you had better have a deep pocket.

The wood is outstanding.I think it is listed as made in 1953.

Bocephas

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I seem to recall that Rock Island Auction Co. in Rock Island, Il. was going to aution off some Roy Rogers stuff including guns a short while back. Anyne else know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
model 12 trap
model 12 y series
model 12 y series trap

winchester model 12 trap

winchester model 12 y model

winchester model 12 y series

winchester model 12 y series trap
y series model 12 winchester