1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

model 12 original or Y MODEL 12

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ridg400, Jan 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridg400

ridg400 TS Member

Is the Y MODEL 12 as good a gun as the orginal Model12? What is the difference between the 2 models. I realize the Y model 12 was produced towards the end of the productions of this fine pump. Is there a difference in the quality of the 2 guns? Thinking about buying a Y model and thought I would ask here. Please advise, thanks in advance Frank

2. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The "Y" was produced to lower manufacturing costs. To answer your
    question, no it is not as well made as the pre-64 versions. The
    "Y" has a investment cast receiver as opposed to the forged receiver
    on the pre-64. Many of the small parts such as the extractor, barrel
    band, etc. are cast. This doesn't mean it won't break targets. It's just not as good as a pre-64 and as such does not bring as much money on the
    used gun market.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

If you are going to shoot it, buy the Y model and save the $$

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Y's tend to shoot a bit more you're looking-that is-higher. What else matters? Both will outlive you!!

5. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pee on a y model.

6. GR Eubanks

GR Eubanks Active Member

Buy an original (pre-64) and you will have no regrets.

Roger

7. tburrey

tburrey Member

I have 3 Model 12s two pre 64 and one a Y model and all have been shot a lot. After 40 years of shooting my guns all have been great. Only repair to my Y model was a ten dollar hammer spring! It's just as smooth as my two pre 64s and has much nicer looking factory wood. I was told by a gunsmith that some of the last pre64 model 12s also had some cast parts. Anyhow, I think any of the model 12s will last more that a lifetime with a little care and upkeep. I certainly wouldn't get hung up on whether some parts are forged or cast. All of these parts are still super strong.

8. plux001

plux001 Member

I too own several Model 12's...pre-64's, pigeons, and "Y" series. Probably shot 15,000 targets in 2012 with the guns. I honestly find no difference between the pre '64's and the later models. Let me explain. When you are shooting caps or singles, you are dropping in one shell and chambering that round. After 10,000 rounds are so, I defy you to be able to tell the difference between ANY Model 12. Now, for doubles and skeet, I do shoot only my pre '64's, as I find the chambering of the second round is a bit smoother. But for singles??? I would not hesitate to shoot a "Y" series for the rest of my days...damn good guns.

Paul

9. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Depends! If you are a collector buy the pre 64. If you are shooter, save the bucks and get the Y model. I had a winchester rep tell me the forged recievers using computer technoogy was actually stronger than the hnd machined ones but everybody wanted the pre 64s for the collector value. I own a pre 64 (1925 model) and a Y model.mostly shoot the Y. Grinds targets well. I won my only GAH trophy in 2005 with it. A note to remember here. The pre 64s have an uninterupted sear. You can hold the trigger down and slam fire them. Not a great safety asset. Just be sure and keep you finger out of the trigger guard when you close one!

10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I'v had them all----For jsut shooting,the (Y) is hard to beat---here's a (Y) like new and fun to shoot---Go for the Pre 64 for both,collecting and shooting but condition vs same condition of a (Y) you'll pay double and probably won't want to shoot the pre 64 to change the condition----I have several (Y)s and love them all----George@SJB
    southjblue_2008_0303861.jpg

southjblue_2008_0303862.jpg

southjblue_2008_0303863.jpg

southjblue_2008_0303864.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.