1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Info Needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by littlebear, Apr 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. littlebear

littlebear TS Member

I have the opportunity to buy a Model 12. The seller does not know the value and neither do I. How many models of the Model 12 are there? How do you tell them apart? What kind of value do they have? This gun has been shot a bit. The blueing is well worn near the action, the stock has a couple of minor cracks in the grip.

Any information would be helpful. I do not want to steal (well maybe) this from the seller, but I do want to get a good price for myself.
    Dale

2. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

There's only 1 Mod 12 but it comes in different configurations. Your question is pretty general and without seeing what it is (configuration) there's no sensible, honest answer for you.

Need more info..

ol 12

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Please explain how the serial # will"tell the whole story?" To my knowledge it will tell you nothing more than aprox when it was made.

4. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

The serial number only tells the year of manufacture, nothing more.

ol 12

5. tinylo

tinylo TS Member

As with any winchester, the older ones are worth more, hence the desire to know the SN. The pre-war ones (I think they say "Winchester Nickel Steel" on the barrel) are worth a bit more. Conditions matters as well - the receiver/barrel area is sometimes buggered.

I'd say, with significant wear and a cracked stock(!), you're not ripping anybody off if you buy it in the $200 range. A original replacement buttstock will cost you well over $100...

6. hairtrigger

hairtrigger TS Member

i have 1 engraved new blueing wood is redone completly gone threw im asking $1000.00 has not been fired 100 times in the last 15 years it just sits in the safe. the 1 your looking at i dont know it may be sound on the inside & it may not. maby 3 to 400 if its a trap gun.

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

to chauncy. if this man isn,t interested in your gun i would be please e-mail pictures if you are serios about selling.thanks dwain

8. Kaintgitrt

Kaintgitrt TS Member

Chauncy, there is a Kusmit #5 engraved with gold and B carved wood on Jaquas for $3995.00 . Yours is worth more. OKJ

9. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

if you look at the gun at jaquas there is a space between the duckbill & the rib ,besides i think the gun is gone but chauncy this person is right your gun would be worth more. i am buying a griebel engraved model 12 with gold inlays for considerably more than the gun at jaquas.thanks dwain

10. Kaintgitrt

Kaintgitrt TS Member

The space between the duckbill can be removed by loosening the set screw inside the receiver and repositioning the duckbill forward. OKJ

11. ol 12 shooter

ol 12 shooter TS Member

Kaintgitrt,

How do you figure you can do that? They have no adjustment forward and back, there made to fit to the end of the reciever and stayed with a screw. I'm betting the rib has been replaced, look under it and see the serial number on the rib and see if it matches, bet it doesn't. That gun has a 1/4" gap between the two pieces. Normal is about a sheet of paper thickness.

12. Kaintgitrt

Kaintgitrt TS Member

OL 12 shooter, I have three kinds of duckbill and two have a keyhole slot that allow movement. Not all three have it, but I bet this one does. No one in there right mind would install one that would not go flush with the front of the reciever.

13. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

daleofmesa
    As you can see, most model 12s have very little value. It was a popular mass produced gun. More than 2 Million made and a lot of them still exist. Without extensive study, you cannot learn enough about a model 12 to buy a collector type and get a good deal. Assuming you are looking at a plain Jane model in 12 gauge, with wear and damage, it is just an old used gun and is not worth more than a couple of hundred bucks.

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

How about this? The keyhole slot on two of the rib extensions allow movement in the pics. Be careful because you have to screw in the screw because it is dovetailed and that is what releases the extension. I backed one out with a little too much effort instead of simply screwing it in many years ago and almost ruined the extension. Jeff

15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

In the above pictures , the two Duckbill's on the bottom and the rib extension that is non duckbill which came on the Donut base and round post are adjustable. There is a keyhole slot. I have adjusted a bunch of them.
    Can you just hear the safes opening to fix that gap? Jeff

16. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Have gun, will any of the current guns in production last 95 years and be used and past down like Model 12's ? If you have any you want to give away I will gladly send you my address. In good fun, Jeff

17. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

bigbore613
    I don't make the collector rules, I just try to enlighten folks who somehow believe "Model 12" means valuable. I am sorry to say that there are some unscrupulous folks out there who have taken advantage of others with these guns. I took the original post at face value and "daleofmesa" just wanted to know he was getting involved in a fair deal. Now if he had said it was a 28 gauge, my post would have been different.

Perhaps my model 12 posts come off negative. But I don't mean it that way. I just try to help people keep things in perspective. I own a Model 12, it was one of the clean-up guns and although it is a plain jane trap model, it has the most beautiful wood. A really nice gun, but that is all, a really nice gun. I suspect I could get about 800 bucks. And the bluing is not worn off nor is stock beat up. I just want people to understand what they are buying before they actually buy it

18. littlebear

littlebear TS Member

Thanks to all that responded. Havegun, you seem to be the most realistic/unemotional about this gun. I think I will offer $200 for the gun. Again thanks to all for the help.
    Dale

19. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Any model 12 will bring at least $350 for the parts if broken up as long as it has reasonable blueing. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.