1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 in trap, how you hold the forearm?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Steve W, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

First time shooting a pump gun in non-tactical situation, I found myself holding/pushing the forearm of a model 12 forward instead of pulling it back while I track the target, am I doing it wrong? Should I apply rearward force on the forearm and let it slide back after recoil? TIA.

2. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

Model 12's are somewhat strange in how they operate. The forearm must be moved slightly forward with the recoil before they can be pumped (it is built into the guns from the old days when hang-fires were more common so that the gun wasn't opened before a shell went off). Assumming your model 12 is in proper working order --- try dryfiring it and then pumping the slide rearward. It should not be possible to operate without moving it forward first. This tends to happen naturally during the recoil of firing a shell.

Not all pumps are the same --- for instance the Winchester model that replaces the model 12 (the model 1200/1300 guns) use an entirely different method of operation (a rotating bolt) and they will actually move the forearm back on their own upon firing --- especially with a heavy load.

3. Steve W

Yes, it needs recoil to operate the slide.

If I hold/pull the forearm rearward while tracking target, the slide will come back after recoil.

I'm thinking should I let it slide backward naturally or should I hold it forward? How did you guys do?

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Let it slide back naturally. You'll find yourself putting undue pressure on the forearm otherwise and possibly not keeping the gun snug in the pocket. Concentrate on the target not what you're doing with the forearm. MHO-----Steve

5. Steve W

Good advise, I'll try that next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.