1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

model 12 help

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bridger, Jun 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

I have a Model 12 that sticks after it is fired and is difficult to eject the fired shell. The fired shell does not seem to release the action as it normally would. You have to force it forward to release and be able to eject the shell. Any suggestions? Thanks

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Clean, scrub, clean, and scrub the chamber some more until squeaky clean and any/all rust/crud removed. A friend also had problems with old Winchester hulls with corrosion on the heads. After cleaning, try new factory shells - good ones without steel heads. Best Regards, Ed

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Make sure the Head Space is adjusted correctly or the fired shell could be expanding and keeping it from opening freely ... I had one doing the same thing and the Head Space ring was cracked in half, once replaced it was fine again ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

All the above, but a firmer grip on the forestock is probably what is needed! On a Mod12 the forestock has to move forward to release the bolt. Recoil will do this for you...if...you have a firm grip on the forestock.

On the other hand, I have one Mod12 with a very tight chamber...and it does not like the steel base ammo, and will have trouble ejecting them.

5. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Most likely one of the springs on the action slide lock/release is broken or has come out of it's groove.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

6. Bridger

Bridger Member

Thanks everyone, I'll start with the springs and see what I can find. even dry firing it I have to struggle to get it open so I don't think its the shells.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bridger,

They all do that when dry firing them, thats when you have to push the forend forward to release it or it may be any one of the other reasons also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.