1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 help please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jd288, Sep 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jd288

jd288 TS Member

A friend of mine bought a model 12 y gun. When he pushes slide forward it will sometimes fire. Finger is not on trigger when this happens. Seems to fire when slide is in the farthest position forward. Any one experience any thing like that. I know there is a lot of model 12 owners on here with a lot of experence. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

2. fishguts

fishguts Member

I don't know what the problem is but I have seen this occur in a couple of other "Y" guns....the guy pushed the slide forward and blew a hole in the ground. He has sent this gun back and forth to Wright's 2 or 3 times that I know of. I don't like the "Y" guns, I have one, a Super Pigeon, and it's a hunk of junk......

Wayne

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I've never owned a "Y" model 12 or worked on them, first thing I'd take a look at is the firing pin. The point of the tapered pin will break off and stick in the forward position and fire when closed. It won't do it every time either. Easy to check. Hap

4. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

What Hap says.

Also, check the trigger.

Someone may have lightened it too much.

Called a slam fire. Try closing the slide very slowly with a snap cap or fired shell while pulling the trigger.

Hammer shouldnt fall until bolt locks up in receiver.

At any rate, its best to get it checked out by a competent smith.

Regards....Gerald

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Check the Wish Bone springs when you take out the trigger assy, this will let it get out of time, new one needs to be fitted to the trigger. It is the piece you push to open the gun.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. abcd

abcd Member

have a gunsmith replace trigger return spring and recut the sear ,

7. TjayE

TjayE Member

I think Dr. Longshot has your answer. Years ago, I had the same problem with a model 12. The wish bone spring was cracked and hard to fine the problem. As you slowly close the action, watch the release lever to make sure lever returns to it's locked position. If the spring is cracked/broke, the action release lever will not lock into place. This spring is located on the side of the trigger assembly. Tom E.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The timer, music wires springs, won't cause the gun to fire when it's closed. Makes it hard to open though. A model 12 will slam fire if the firing pin tip is broken without the hammer ever being released when closing the action. If that should happen and the gun fires at closing, pull the trigger assy out and look to see if the hammer is still cocked? If so, that will tell you immediately it's a broken tip on the firing pin. That's the first thing I check for in my model 12s. Hap

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had his trigger lightened up and it went off when he closed it. So that can be a problem. Not saying it is your problem, but just one place to check.

I loved it when he shot the back of the house one time.

The scorekeeper said, "I just painted that yesterday".

Funny as he//!

Hauxfan!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.