1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 help please!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have the opportunity to purchase a nice old model 12 but while looking at the gun I found out that the forearm does not release and slide back when the trigger is pulled. Is this something that I could fix without a lot of expense? I am mechanically inclined but have never messed with a model 12. Mine always worked with no need to repair. The gun is probably 85 pct with a monte carlo stock but plain 32 inch full choke barrel. $400.00 is not to much for the gun is it? Thanks for your response. Jackie B.

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Did the action release if you pushed foreward on the slide? It is designed to need a recoil to unlock the slide. Dry firing or without a recoil you can push the slide foreward and hear it "click" and should open without a problem.
    Sounds like a good buy. I remember the first one I bought when I was a kid, 28" modified-plain barrel-If I remember right, $159 out the door. (Long Ago)

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks for the info. It works fine when firing a shell. I didn't realize that it needed recoil to unlock the slide. Jackie B.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Make sur the action is closed completely

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Some(not all, I believe) of the M12's can fan fire. Holding the trigger down while pumping makes the shell fire when the bolt closes.

Impressive in doubles.

HM

6. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

ALL Winchester Mod 12's and 97's will "fan fire" and contrary to popular belief, Herb Parsons DID NOT fan fire his Mod 12 while doing ANY of his shooting exibitions.

Jere

7. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Intersting that some say "all" of the M12s will "slamfire". I have three M12's, one from the '30s, one from the '40's and one from the early '50s and not one of them will "slamfire". I read once where Winchester learned of this feature in the late'20s and revised the design so the following guns cannot do that. The article was by a major M12 authority/collector and it was in "Shotgun Sports" a few years ago. Sorry, I do not recall which issue.

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

most 12s will 'slam fire' after 64 they did make a change in the trigger to stop it . A file and 2 min will fix that .I have 5 and all mine will fire if the trigger is held.rick

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

$450 is plenty much for a plain barrel 85% gun since you asked. Unless the stock is something spectacular.

I never ran into a Model 12 that you couldn't hold the trigger back and keep working the action and shooting.

10. Stuart

Stuart Member

Pheasantmaster, You use a file on a Model 12 trigger and you will get hurt. You experts that fix your own triggers with a file and you get the trigger out of time and you will be wearing pieces of the receiver. You are also the guys that keep me in business repairing your tune-ups. Every Model 12 made by Winchester will fire if you hold the trigger back and close the action. If the trigger is timed properly the gun will not discharge till the bolt is in complete batter. Now you take a farmer and his file to the trigger and the gun will discharge BEFORE the bolt is in batter, I have a good collection of receivers I can show you with a enlarged ejection port and barrels that have a chamber sideways. You experts are going to hurt somebody and have distroyed several Model 12's.
    Browning included a disconnector when they made the Model 12 to prevent this.
    Do Not file on your trigger.
    Stuart

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Stuart, show me where in my post I said anything about using a file.

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Duhhh! It was Ricks1 that said that stoooopid thing about a file !

Nothing better than a bubbaized shotgun?

13. Simmons guns

Simmons guns TS Member

Check to see if the gun will fire out of battery.

14. Stuart

Stuart Member

Pheasantmaster, My misstake,it wasn't you who said anything about a file.
    Stuart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.