1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Help Needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BufferBob, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

I have been shooting a Model 12 and I am having trouble with it not hitting some of the shells hard enough to go off. I make darn sure when I am reloading that primers are not set in to deep. When it does fireit hits the primers real hard. But when it mis-fires it hits them light. I not very adversed in Model 12's so I need help. Is it weak springs, firing pin or something else?

2. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I had that happen one time and the firing pin was broke. It would fire fine for 25 or so and then light hit. Where the pin was broke, the break would separate, rotate, and the light hit would occur.

Rod

3. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Bob, if your primers are not to deep then you may have a weak hammer spring. Check that as well as your firing pin. One of the nice things about Model 12's is their simplicity.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Sounds like a broken firing pin or a worn firing pin retractor.

Replacing either one is quite simple.

5. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Wrights sells a complete spring kit, which is a good addition for your problem if its not the problem.

regards.....Gerald

6. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

Thanks For the info.

Bob

7. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I had a hammer spring break into so many pieces that it looked like a bunch of washers. I had a failure to fire, then broke 3 or 4 more targets before it gave up completely. I also agree with the earlier posters regarding broken firing pins. Either way, it's a cheap fix. Larry Evans

8. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

Give me a Ljutic, 870 or a Perazzi I can fix it. But I am totally lost when it comes to a model 12. I don't even know how to get the bolt out or replace hammer spring of firing pin.

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

BB ... where are you located?

10. patrick Swartz

patrick Swartz Member

The bolt may not be going far enough up as it goes into battery to depress the fireing pin retractor plate.In that instance the inertia of the hammer must make the fireing pin move the retractor out of the way and looses enough of it's force to indent the primer sufficiently. I fought this very problem all winter.With the gun UNLOADED and with the slide forward,you can test my idea by closing the gun and depressing the follower on the trigger housing up untill it contacts the bolt with the index finger of your left hand. If you push up and can see the bolt go up,that is the problem. The solution,is a new action bar or a trip to wright's. I have my M12 there right now. Good luck.
    Patrick Swartz

11. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

With the gun open look at the recess in the receiver where the bolt locks.

Make sure its free from a build up of crud.

You can use a skewer or Kabob stick or something non metallic to clean it.

Regards....Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.