1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

model 12 hammer spring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grl, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grl

grl Member

Getting light strikes with my model 12. What's involved in changing the hammer spring? Source for instructions?

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i have a new spring if you need one-- but dont ask me how to change! wally riebesell 660-744-4115 cst

3. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I have done it several times ---- the first time I was up fairly late at night getting everything put back correctly. It isn't real easy like a Citori, etc.

If you have the trigger out you can see if the rod the spring rides over has a hole drilled in it towards the rear (all of them except the very early guns do). When you put it back together, you will need to place a paper clip (or something similar) through this hole and use it to hold the spring under tension after you wind some of it up over the clip (to shorten the spring and allow it to be reinstalled).

The other tricky part is to get each of the action side lock springs correctly spaced with one over and one under the pin. You can use a punch that is a little undersized to get everything lined up before trying to actually get the pin back through the trigger assembly --- as this way is much easier.

Also note that the carrier pivot screw is LEFT HANDED. It is that large screw on the right hand side.

If you are comfortable taking things apart and putting them back together, then I would say give it a try (after looking everything over good) but don't expect it to be real easy the first time.

4. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

you have a pm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

model 12 hammer spring

winchester model 12 hammer reattach spring

winchester model 12 hammer spring