1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Forearm Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dkimbler, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkimbler

dkimbler TS Member

Need advise on a problem with the forearm on the left side, being too close to the metal when I pump the gun. It touches the metal and is making a rub on the bluing. I took the gun to a gunsmith, and was told that he put some epoxy on the inside of the forearm to make the screw hold better. He helped the forearm, but it is very close to the metal and I feel it will eventually rub. Need advise on fixing this problem. This is a Trap Gun and I need to keep the forearm, as it is a high grade that matches the stock.

Thanks

David

2. wm rike

wm rike Member

Screw? There's no screw on an M12 forearm, so I'm supposing we're talking about the threaded cap on the front end of the forearm, and the smith used some epoxy to build up the wood under the cap so as to make a tighter fit. Does that sound right?

If the cap is loosened, you should be able to rotate the forearm a bit about the slide until you get the clearance you need. The caveat is that at the back end of the slide the wood needs to be relieved a bit where the action bar is welded to the slide. I haven't had one apart for a while, but we're talking about a cut that is perhaps 3/8" long, 1/8" deep, and 1/4" wide. You can only rotate the wood on the slide to the extent that the cut is oversized relative to the front edge of the action bar (hope this is making sense). If you can't rotate the wood sufficiently to get proper clearance, you may have to shave the edges of that recess in the forearm a bit. Get a M12 forearm wrench from Brownells and you can spend pleasurable evenings doing all this yourself.

One other thought. Taking into account the twisting a forearm sustains in normal operation, aftermarket wood may not be wide enough to clear both sides of the barrel or action, and no amount of rotating as described above will remedy the problem. Gotta get in there with a file or scraper to get more clearance.

3. jrb100

jrb100 Member

If it is a Y model ,there should be two grooves on the inside of the forearm wood.( approx. 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock') that the forearm wood slides onto to prevent excess rotation.My does anyway.

joe

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

at least you dont have to buy parts like a Pr azzzzzzzzy that makes the 12 look good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.