1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 for $200

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sigraph, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

Found a model 12 at a pawn shop yesterday - absolute roughest I've ever seen. It's been drilled and tapped many times for what appears to be scope mounts or some kind of sight. Could be a project gun to restore, but would take a lot of micro-welding and metal finishing. It's not rust pitted anywhere, but looks like it was stored in the bed of a pickup.
    Think it's worth the trouble??
    I hate to admit it, but I feel sorry for the gun - would love to return it to it's original glory. It's a 12 guage field gun - no rib, screw driver and plier marks on it, but the action feels smooth. I don't know a lot about model 12's but have always loved the trap models and conversions.

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Might be worth $100 for parts.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Ive seen a lot of rough Model 12s, but none that cheap.

If its not total junk it would be a good home project, as sending it off for restoration would be cost prohibitive. No poly choke I presume.

Some of this cold bluing on the market looks pretty good if put on properly.

Regards....Gerald

4. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Sigraph: A guy I know used to have one like yours. He called it "Lucky." Kit

5. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Cut the barrel to 18" and use it for a "Behind the Door" gun....

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Save your money.

7. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

Go for it. I bet it would clean up fine. I've done sillier things, and have a couple decent "salvaged" guns to show for it.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

For $200 ... buy it! If nothing else, you could part it out for 4X the money you paid for it!

OR...

Weld and refinish the metal, add a rib and trap stock. Then you will have a "custom" Mod12 ... and enjoy shooting it!

9. joegriff

joegriff Member

I had a simular experence this month. Found a model 12 32" field gun in a local gun store for $280. A little rough, But mechanical sound. When got it home I checked the choke .030 marked "full". Think there were .030 choked model 12's that were marked "full" or is s one opened up? I'm happy with it either way. Just wondering.

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The mentioned gun can't be parted out for anywhere near four times the price. You would be lucky to get your money back. There are no marketable parts in a ruined gun. Let someone else buy it.

11. Sigraph

Sigraph TS Member

went back today - it's gone "CRAP"

12. blackbear-57

blackbear-57 Member

I have a Winchester M12 I will sell for $275.00 shipped and insured to your FFL. It is a 12 ga. nickel steel, matching 494,xxx serial #, 30" full, no buttstock, 3 holes tapped and partially filled on left side of receiver (approx. 1/8" holes). Buttstock was broken beyond repair when I bought it. Shows honest wear and is tight. Nice forearm. Thanks Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.