1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Experts?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by larryx, Jan 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryx

larryx Member

Does anyone know if this is a Winchester factory number? I looked in the George Madis book, he says they numbered some on some guns both stock and forend but he does not give the location. According to the guy I bought it from he claims that his father bought it as an “Upland” version. It’s a 3 pin and looks like a trap gun. The comb height is between the trap and field height.
    I did not have a camera with a macro lens so the photos are blown up. The number is on the toe of the stock just to the left. The actual number is 090-10-6221 size is 3/4” x 1/8”. Could not find a number on the forend.
    I’m going to cut this stock but not if the number is meaningful.
    Larry

View attachment 199211

View attachment 199212

View attachment 199213

2. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Someone stamped their Social Security Number into their stock. The 090 prefix means they obtained their SSN in New York.

3. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

S/S Number of Old Owner..back when it was not the Key to Ones Life.

4. larryx

larryx Member

Thanks guys. Its on the way to my gunsmith for a cut and new recoil pad.

5. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Larry, Ask the guy you bought it from if his Father had that SS number. As for 090 being from NY, I got my SS # in NY many years ago, and it is not even close to 090. Larry Evans

6. lwr_

lwr_ Member

@Oldgahchamp - New York SSN prefixes range from 050-134. Bet yours falls inbetween that range.

http://www.mrfa.org/ssn.htm

7. gunut54

gunut54 TS Member

if that is the original stock and pad you will loose a lot of the guns value by cutting the stock....

8. larryx

larryx Member

oldgahchamp: That's not his dads number. The dad bought it from a guy form Millville Gun Club in Wexford PA. That guy bought and sold mostly Winchesters.
    gunut54:
    The bluing on receiver is 50% and some patina the bluing barrel and tube are 80%. (Estimate) If it shoots well for me I am going to sent it to Wright for a tune-up and reblue. It’s just a shooter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.