1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

model 12 expert

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by musky, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. musky

musky TS Member

hello my name is larry ranken. I just purchased a rare model 12 winchester 12 guage. I can not find out anything about this gun. If there is anybody out there that could answer some questions about this gun it would be greatly appreciated. My cell number is 815-970-3178. Thank you for any help i can get.

2. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

What is the serial #?

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

At over 1 million made, what makes it rare? I have owned 25-30 different gages and styles. There are some rarities as Win would build what you wanted up into the 50s.

4. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

Why dont you post some pictures and some more info about it and maybe someone can help you out. I would love to see how "rare" it is.

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Larry, I was glad to hear that you got the information that you needed from someone that you spoke with prior to our conversation. Good luck with your Mod 12 post pics some time

6. musky

musky TS Member

the serial number is 721875. the rib sais simmons gun specialties patented. the barrell sais for super speed & super x 3in. has a 32 inch barrell.full choke. round post rib. red hawkins butt pad. no proof marks on barrell or receiver where they should be. any help would be appreciated.

7. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

From a chart taken from an old copy of Shotgun Sports, that gun should have been built in 1937. Also, here is a quote from that article: "The Winchester Model 12 Duck Gun, a 3" chambered Magnum, appeared in 1935 and lasted until 1963. During that time, some were made to customer specifications, such as with a straight-grip handle and with or without a solid matted rib. A few M/12 3" guns had a milled Winchester ventilated rib with a duckbill ramp, but they are scarce collectors' items today." Article from July 1987. John

8. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

A few shooters used to shoot these back in the early 70s.

A model 12 is a fast swinging gun and a few liked the added weight if the 3" receiver along with the 32" barrel.

Timney releases were also popular.

Regards....Gerald

9. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I have a 3 inch Model 12 with a factory milled rib they were custom orders mine is 30 inches with the donut post rib no duck bill. The prof marks are on the side of the barrel along side the rib in the left also has a red Hawkins pad with lead in the stock.
    Buddy

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Musky's gun is not rare, or original. The milled ventilated rib was not installed on the 3" Model 12. The round post ventilated rib mentioned by one poster is not the "milled rib". The "milled rib" is the two pin rib with posts integral with the barrel. The weight in the 3" Model 12 is not in the receiver, it is in the lead insert in the stock and in the heavier barrel. They make a poor trap gun, in my opinion.

11. atashooter

atashooter Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

expert trap shotgun number 815

model 12 super speed barrel custom