1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

model 12 engraving

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nailer123, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

How can i tell if the the engraving on my 1939 model 12 is factor. One side has a ducks in some cat tails and the other side has a dog flushing some birds .The birds are very light can't tell what they are. This is a trap model.Thanks Kirk.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you could post a few pictures that would help. The Winchester book of engraving has many factory examples. Sounds like what the factory put on many of their M-12s.

3. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The prewar Pigeon Grade is engraved in such a pattern as standard equipment. The postwar #5 engraving pattern is the one that is usually pictured in Winchester literature and is not identical to the prewar pattern. The prewar pattern is seldom pictured except in rare catalogs and in Riffle's book. If you will post pictures here, I can tell you whether your gun is similar to the prewar Pigeon Grade factory pattern. You could also email the pictures to me and I will comment on them. The prewar Pigeon Grade will not have a pigeon on the barrel extension, nor will the breech bolt and carrier normally be engine turned like the postwar pigeons.

4. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You might visit a library or on-line and view Riffels book on the Mod 12 which has great pictures of the Mod 12 from the start to end of its run

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

model 12 engraving & carving