1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Duck Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shipbuilder, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

I have an opportunity to buy a nice Model 12 Duck Gun. If I do buy it I want to use it to hunt with. Qustions:

1. Can I shoot steel shot through it?

2.Should I have someone like Stuart Wright open the coke a bit, it is Full.

3. Should I install screw ins?

What would you do?

Jim

2. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Don't use steel or Hevi-shot. Both could damage the barrel of this gun. You can use Kent Tungsten Matrix, Hevi-Shot CLASSIC DOUBLES, reload Nice Shot or use the new Bismuth loads in this gun. Be aware all of the non-toxic loads are pricey.

If in doubt, call Stu Wright.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Double auto is correct. Do not use Heavy shot in an older full choke barrel.
    Use the Kent Tungsten Matrix or Bismuth. A friend of mine had Wrights open up his Duck to modified and now regrets it. Based on the few shots he takes at ducks,the Matrix or Bismuth cost is not that great, and they kill like lead.

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

If it has a 32" barrel, please don't mess with the choke. One of the hardest hitting full chokes ever in a shotgun!

milt

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

ABSOLUTELY do not mess with barrel. I agree with above posters on the tungsten-matrix. I do not care for Bismuth however.

6. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

All:

Got the message.

Thanks
    Jim

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a model 12 duck with briley choke(I think)- barrel cut to 26 inches I think and tapped for scope bases

You can use for field- duck or deer

I would sell it for $617 if anyone is intersted

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. SX12

SX12 Member

I have shot hundreds of rounds of steel shot through an unmolested model 12 full choke duck gun. The barrel is smooth, unharmed and patterns as good as the day it was made.

In destructive tests designed to measure the limits of barrels with steel shot, the only barrels ever damaged were the thin Belgian Brownings. These often developed a ring bulge but then were okay for further shooting.

Even model 59 Winchester barrels--a thin steel liner with 500 miles of fibreglass wrapped on the outside--stood up to steel shot.

The threat of steel shot is greatly exaggerated, although there are early choke tubes that don't hold up.

This info comes straight from the man who did the testing for the US Fish and Wildlife Service, Tom Roster.

Lee Searle

9. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Lee, you and I are on the same page. Have shot my Heavy Duck with steel for many years and the bore is as shiny and bright as ever. I have test patterned this gun (30" full) with trap loads and unbelievable how tight and dense it patterns. I was going to add a Simmons rib and trap wood to convert it to a turkey shoot gun, but just can't bear to modify it. Like the old Rem Model 31 TC's, the Model 12 chokes were hand finished. I love sitting an old box of Peters (paper) field loads next to it...guess I'm stuck in the 60's...lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can i shoot buck shot in full model 12
can i shoot buckshot out of heavy duck gun

model 12 duck gun

shooting old model 12 with tungston shot
was the model 12 duck gun a good deer gun
winchester heavy duck for shooting turkey shoot
winchester model 12 and tungsten shot

winchester model 12 duck gun