1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 compared to Ljutic mono

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bling 27, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bling 27

bling 27 Member

This past week I bought a Ljutic mono over the internet. I have always liked the looks of them. I have never shot one or even picked one up. I have been shooting Model 12 since the mid 60's and was wondering if there is a big difference in the handling charistics of these two guns. The Ljutic isn't here yet but I'm looking forward to trying it out. Anybody out there have experence shooting both of these fine guns. I would appericate your input. Thanks, break'em all !! Wayne

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

The model 12 is considered by most to be the best pump gun ever made. Should you find one that fits you and shoots where you look, you will have a dependable target busting machine for life.

The model 12 is also considered by most to have the best feel and balance among all trap guns. The history books tell no lies showing that no other shotgun has the history and wins as the model 12.

The Ljutic has also a good, high quality gun, but does not have the feel of the model 12, or the high resale value of the model 12. Should you still have your model 12, consider holding on to it, as you just might want it back.

In my opinion, comparing a model 12 to a Ljutic, is like comparing apples to oranges. One is considered a good gun, and the other a great gun, that helped form our sport of which it is today, enough said.

Steve Balistreri

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

I found out with mine,its a whole new learning curve.trigger is so much faster,pattern is so much higher.I found myself shooting in front,and over.took a while to adjust,so when you get it give yourself at least 10 flats of shells to adjust to it.great guns other wise,break'em all..Ray

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Wayne, With all due respect, Have you seen a Ljutic ? Two completly different guns. Kinda like comparing dust to water. :)

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

The Model 12 - Chevrolet Impala
    Ljutic - Corvette

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

This thread should be entitled.... "A tale of two triggers".

The 12 is among the slowest, the Ljutic one of the fastest.

It's been quite a few years since I shot one but after shooting my 12 for a number of years, shooting a Ljutic is a whole new experience.

You will feel the difference immediately.

I am considering doing the same thing. Best buy in a SB trap in my opinion.

Regards...Gerald

7. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

A Model 12 has a soul. You just want to cradle one on your lap in front of a fire on a cold Winter's eve while enjoying a fine brandy.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

"The Model 12 - Chevrolet Impala Ljutic - Corvette"

SB let me fix this for you.

The Model 12 = Chevy Impala

Ljutic = Chevette

The only difference is the Chevette has better resale value.

ss

9. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Both Guns are True Icons of Our Sport....It's All About The Trigger..Regardless of Who has Worked your Model 12 Trigger...It's Fair To Say..That First Time Out
    ..You Will Shoot The Trap House at Least Once. After the Learning Curve..you will never Look Back..Unless you have a Nostalgic Moment. Shoot Well.Shoot Often, Bart

10. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I do not own a Ljutic but here's a little soul for ya

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00545.jpg" target="_blank"> DSC00545.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/billgrill/?action=view&current=DSC00544.jpg" target="_blank"> DSC00544.jpg </a>

11. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Very Nice

12. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Bill, that Model 12 is stunning! Mine's just a Simmons build up but I love shooting it.

johnr_2008_300844.jpg

13. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

In my opinion it is comparing apples and oranges.

14. Erik W

Erik W Member

I am fairly certain that the Ljutic was originally designed & "shaped" to emulate the Win M12. That is to have a similar "feel" & look to the old "gold standard" of trap guns with a newer break top single barrel trap design.

15. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've never owned a Ljutic but owned my first new Model 12 in 1965. One day when my inheritance comes in I'm gonna have my current Y-Model 12 re-stocked by Wenig, give the K-80 to junior, and close out my career with probably the greatest trap gun ever made. Slow trigger-sure-but the finest pointing shotgun ever produced. The darn things are simply easy to shoot!!

16. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I always had trouble pumping them damned Ljutics. Forearm action bars must get stuck easy, I guess.

17. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Claybrdr, you just brought a tear to my eye.

18. John55

John55 Active Member

M12s hold legendary status to many older trapshooters, self included. They point wonderfully and feel alive in the shooter's hands. But they kick! The thing that makes them point and swing so effortlessly is light weight, and that "attribute" alone is enough to keep me from wanting to shoot mine again. The Ljutic is nothing like a M12, it's heavier, longer and has a much faster trigger. It's also going to be lots more reliable over the long haul. Go to any big shoot these days and try to find a M12 on the line, you won't see but maybe a handful if you're lucky. Ljutics are everywhere, as are most other brands of SBTs...must be a good reason for this. If you want a single barrel that truly was designed to look, balance and feel much like the M12 then you want an original Seitz or the currently made Bowen.

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

A good as person as any to ask about this is to question Mr. Phil Ross, who advertises at this site. He shot a Model 12 with hydro coil for decades until it wore out so badly that it was not feasable to fix up again when he re-entered the sport after a ten year absence.

Phil came back to the sport in '07 and now shoots a Ljutic, an old, but very good looking fresh and basic mono-gun. He can tell you the pluses and minuses of both guns. He has been very successful with both, but to be terse, he feels the Model 12 is more forgiving, (for his style, keep that in mind), but the Ljutic has other advantages. Also, keep in mind that I am only paraphrasing what Phil told me while "bench racing" in the clubhouse and I am only interpreting his impresions. Phil has certainly demonstrated that old Ljutics never die, they just go back to the factory for drydock work when they get moldy.

It is apples and oranges. For years, Phil's father, the late and well-known George O. Ross shot a Ljutic when Phil, shot a Model 12. The Ross family knew Al and Nadine from the days before the Ljutic gun existed and Al was a gunsmith in Reno. The families were friends and it is fitting that Phil's choice of gun continues to be U.S. made and has the touch of Al in it. Some circles close ends poetically.

And that's the condensed version of the story. But Phil continues to trapshoot, teach, and consult about trapshooting.....you can reach him at 909-307-0385.

...David Buchman
    Los Angeles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.