1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

model 12 choke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bridger, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bridger

Bridger Member

For those of you who shoot a Model 12, have you altered the choke at all? I have mine at Wrights for some other work and am thinking about having them measure it and open it up bit for 16 yard targets. I don't know the constriction now but it really inkballs the targets at 16 and probably is a lot tighter than it needs to be.

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Bridger, your mod.12 has one of the best proven chokes ever! I wouldn't allow my granmaw to fiddle with any of mine!!

You can do a little pattern adjustment with choice of shot size and speed also. If it was me, I'd leave it alone and find out how to make it work best for for crushing clays! JMO Hap

3. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Hap says it all. Leave the Model 12 choke alone. It has probably the best choke of any production gun ever built. Ed

4. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Full choke??? Probably around .042. Leave it alone.

5. Bridger

Bridger Member

Thanks for the good advice.I'm a bit afraid to let anyone mess with it, even Wrights so I think I will just leave it as is and save some money I don't need to spend.

6. Model12SuperPigeon

Model12SuperPigeon TS Member

Yes, I agree...leave it alone and enjoy the inkballs!

Tim

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have several Model 12's and had some choke work done to one of them ... I wish I would of left it alone like the other ones I have but it'll still smoke the targets from long yardage, let alone the 16 yardline ... Do yourself a favor and leave it as is, and let there be smoke ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

If you are really serious about dinking with your mod. 12 choke, have Stu check to see if it is perfectly round. I was thinking of having my choke opened up a little about 25 years ago, but when I went to pick it up, the Gunsmith showed me that it was slightly egg shaped. He took just enough metal out to make the choke perfectly round. Larry Evans

9. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Don't listen to them cut 2" off muzzle and add a cutts choke then your gun is worth half price! just kidding nobody is touching mine either Jon

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

If you are going to let ANYBODY do it, then Stu would be the man. He was the man Herb Orre trained to carry on his choke work. Herb was the choke Guru at Winchester for years. If it was me I would pattern it and if I liked what I saw I would leave it alone. Iv'e got three model 12s(two pre 64s and one Y model). All are full choke from the factory. I will probably leave them as is "good and tight"!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.