1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 choke too tight?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tburrey, Dec 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tburrey

tburrey Member

Merry Christmas everyone! I have a Y Model 12 Trap that I've owned for over 20 years that I would like to shoot better scores with. I've patterned it and it shoots 51/49 POI at 40 yards with a beautiful rounded pattern at 89 percent inside the 30 inch circle. A gunsmith measured my bore and it is .733 so my choke restriction works out to .43 thousands with the factory full choke. I heard that Herb Orr chokes (many of you I'm sure remember those) were taken out to .28 thousands. I'm seriously thinking of having my gun backbored and choke taken out to about .32 thousands. I'm not worried about collectible issues as I don't ever plan to sell it and Y models do not fall in the the collectors catagory. I know if your on them your on them but I want to get all the help I can get from my gun. Your thoughts would be appreciated. Happy New year. Tom

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Y models not collectable??? Better look again. Don't ruin it, learn to shoot the tight choke, you will become a better shooter. Herb ore one of the best

3. Erik W

Erik W Member

With 2 million +/- M12's out there, do what you want to enjoy the gun.

4. otnot

otnot Active Member

If anything I would raise the point of impact. You have been shooting for 20 years and your basically shooting a field gun POI. If your comb isn't adjustable try some mole skin before you have it cut. Having built in vertical lead will really help as most missed targets are behind and below.

Jim

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Try shooting different shells or different (reloads) loads before you mess with the barrel, you might be surprised what you will see ... If all else fails (and it won't) get the chokes worked on by the best guy money can buy to do them ... That will depend on who you talk to so check around before you make a mistake and destroy a good gun ... I have several Model 12's and have only had one choke opened up because I thought it was to tight and in reality it wasn't ... You might be better off to raise the point of impact if the gun is shooting as flat as you say it is (70/30 works for me) and most gunsmiths can do that without ruining the gun or the stock ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. bigben

bigben Active Member

I would certainly leave the choke alone, your problem lies not in the choke but the extremely low impact of your gun, layers of moleskin to start, then an adjustable comb if not enough to get at least 70/30, send it to Tom Wilkinson to get the impact at least that high, you'll be back to the 27 yd. line quick! incinerate em!

7. tburrey

tburrey Member

Bigben where do I get ahold of Tom Wilkinson at? Thanks. Tom

8. tburrey

tburrey Member

9. austin fatts

austin fatts TS Member

Do not alter that gun!! A beauitiful piece of craftsmanship. Machining is unbelieveable.

Merry Christmas

Austin Fatts

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Ive been shooting one since 1975. patters much like yours. Shot one years ago with an Orre super choke. Broke targets evenly from 20-27yds. You couldnt smoke a target with it but if you were close they broke. Everyone that shot it had the same results.

If yours is nice Id keep it original. Values are sure to rise.

However, if your determined Wrights can probably help.

Happy New Year Gerald

11. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Try some 8-1/2's in it for 16's. I did & liked them, when I shot a Model 12.

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Tom, if you are now averaging in the high 90's opening it a bit might win help an event or two for you every few years.

If you are averaging less than that, it's unlikely to help more than the above example.

Neil

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Leave it alone. no need to mess with it.

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I purchased a Y gun years ago with excellent wood shot it for years worked great. I had it at a gunsmith for a new pad and found out it had choke work and was 25 th it sure did the job. I plan to sell it after the Holidays. Chokes are a funny thing I have a Stan Baker bored barrel on a 1100 and it is opened up also a dime will go right in but the barrel is a stone crusher. Old George Snellenberger had his Model 12 opened and shot the lights out with it. I would shoot one with a open choke and buy it after you shot it. If you get to FL for one of the Silver Dollar shoots I would be glad to let you shoot mine. A friend of mine had old Herb Orre do his model 12 and went from c class to a class with in a year so it does work for some people. I know I sold him the gun I could not hit a barn with it from 10 yards.

Buddy

15. bigben

bigben Active Member

Tom, Tom Wilkinson 919 603 0167

16. tburrey

tburrey Member

Thanks to all for your comments. I think I'm going to try raising the stock even though I'll be stacking the beads to shoot. Neil, my sixteen yard average last year was about 95 and my handicap was about 85. If that doesn't work I may go back to the choke idea. Thanks to all. Tom

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Tom,

Based on what you said about your averages, I'd shoot half as many 16's and twice as many handicap and see if that makes a difference also ... The higher shooting stock (70/30 - 80/20) help you score better at Handicap ... Personally, I think the choke is probably fine as it is, so do not let it make you play mind games with yourself ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

I remember watching Herb Orre opening chokes with a 1/4 inch electric drill and a break hone. He measured the choke with a dime.

Pat Ireland

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

ed- We both may have a few years but probably we have not outgrown our toys.

Pat Ireland

20. Mdl1261

Mdl1261 Member

Hey ole one eye ! Is this the Buddy from Chicago ? game shooting Buddy ? Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.