1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 Choke Dimensions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Buckeye, Jan 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

I would like to know the dimensions of the chokes used by Winchester in the Pre-64 12 guage shotguns. Does anyone have or know of a schematic of the choke dimensions not just the constrictions.

Thanks.

2. wm rike

wm rike Member

I've not found two that are alike.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have 10 pre 64 Model 12's and none of them are the same ... They go from .035 to .048 and the bore is close to .720 on most of them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. plux001

plux001 Member

I currently own four.
    Usually you will find the bore to run around .729.
    I have found the "Y" series to be a bit tighter...around .042.
    I have found the pre-64 to run closer to .035.
    These are general numbers, and any one gun can vary substantially and still be factory original. No matter the specs, they will all smoke birds.

Paul

5. racer

racer TS Member

I think he was asking for a profile of the chokes, not the constriction. You could attach a piece of masking tape to a bore guage and mark it out in 16th inch increaments and plot the measurements of the guage. Mdl 12's chokes start about 4 inches from the end of the barrel if I recall correctly. (maybe not)
    Dan

6. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

Thanks Dan. This is the type of info I am looking for. I was hoping for some type of a schematic was out there but I have Googled and not found anything. I will borrow a bore gauge and do my own study. I am just curious. I normally use Stu Wright's chokes in my trap guns.

7. wm rike

wm rike Member

Like Paul, I have four barrels to look at and they must be related to his. The bores range from 0.728-0.730, and total constriction is 0.032-0.035 (all pre-64, all original). There you are.

Profiles tend to be closer to 3.0" than 2.5" in length with the onset of the choke being fairly gradual. Two have an inch of parallel, and one opens up 0.007".

8. Buckeye

Buckeye Member

Thanks . . .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.