1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 and steel shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AKA Bert, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA Bert

AKA Bert TS Member

I am going to use steel shells for some of my trap shooting and steel is new to me so I read what I could and although a lot has been written about using only guns that are made to shoot steel I have not seen or heard of a gun being hurt by using steel target loads and people that I have watched shoot trap and skeet with steel were not concerned about what guns they were shooting.I had to find out if I needed another gun or not, so I bought a box of Winchester target loads [#7 1oz. 1200 fps] I decided to sacrifice a M12 that has Briley chokes and a nickel steel barrel. The the steel shells broke the targets just like lead shells and the gun is just fine. no bulges and no scratches but I was surprised at the amount of plastic build up in the barrel. My Perazzi will not get any steel shot through it till I have shot much more than one box of steel in the M12

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Where the potential danger comes in using steel in older barrels is from larger sized pellets.

The reason for the plastic buildup is look at a shotcup used for steel and I think you'll quickly see the reason.

3. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Do you wanna get rid of that m-12 before the steel shot destroys it? Let me know my brother is looking for one with tubes. jdlovejoy4@yahoo.com

4. AKA Bert

AKA Bert TS Member

every thing that I learned sure did indicate that as long as I keep to #6 and #7 and don't get grazy with the speed there will be no problems. With my Mod. tube in the gun I couldn't see any differance in the breaks than the lead shells. That was from the 16 yd. line. Tomorrow I will try the steel from the 27 yd. line , I think that will be a different story but we'll see
    I have wanted to sell that gun for over a year but now that I want to shoot some steel and it fits me and has the Briley chokes and a release trigger I am glad I still have it. I really don't want to buy another gun for no more shooting I will do with steel but I do have a Rem.3200 that I shot doubles with that has the chokes opened. By the way that M12 is ported but that doesn't seem to be a problem with steel either.
    At Gander Mt. [Win AAs $8.99] a box [Win steel target loads $5.99 ]

5. AKA Bert

AKA Bert TS Member

I am going to use steel shells for some of my trap shooting and steel is new to me so I read what I could and although a lot has been written about using only guns that are made to shoot steel I have not seen or heard of a gun being hurt by using steel target loads and people that I have watched shoot trap and skeet with steel were not concerned about what guns they were shooting.I had to find out if I needed another gun or not, so I bought a box of Winchester target loads [#7 1oz. 1200 fps] I decided to sacrifice a M12 that has Briley chokes and a nickel steel barrel. The the steel shells broke the targets just like lead shells and the gun is just fine. no bulges and no scratches but I was surprised at the amount of plastic build up in the barrel. My Perazzi will not get any steel shot through it till I have shot much more than one box of steel in the M12

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Where the potential danger comes in using steel in older barrels is from larger sized pellets.

The reason for the plastic buildup is look at a shotcup used for steel and I think you'll quickly see the reason.

7. jdlovejoy4

jdlovejoy4 Active Member

Do you wanna get rid of that m-12 before the steel shot destroys it? Let me know my brother is looking for one with tubes. jdlovejoy4@yahoo.com

8. AKA Bert

AKA Bert TS Member

every thing that I learned sure did indicate that as long as I keep to #6 and #7 and don't get grazy with the speed there will be no problems. With my Mod. tube in the gun I couldn't see any differance in the breaks than the lead shells. That was from the 16 yd. line. Tomorrow I will try the steel from the 27 yd. line , I think that will be a different story but we'll see
    I have wanted to sell that gun for over a year but now that I want to shoot some steel and it fits me and has the Briley chokes and a release trigger I am glad I still have it. I really don't want to buy another gun for no more shooting I will do with steel but I do have a Rem.3200 that I shot doubles with that has the chokes opened. By the way that M12 is ported but that doesn't seem to be a problem with steel either.
    At Gander Mt. [Win AAs $8.99] a box [Win steel target loads $5.99 ]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning model 12 steel shot