1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12 2Pin

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The pins that hold the rib on, count them, Y models use the screw in front of front sight, Milled ribs use 3 pins.

GB
    DLS

2. Racerx

Racerx Member

I have a solid milled rib m-12 ...i think ?? I'll send pic later if your still looking?

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Milled ribs are 2 pin. The knurling on the top of the receiver is the M12 w/ the 2 pin rib. The 2 pins are on the left dide of the rib aprox midway.

4. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The rib post that is located just over the barrel band that holds the magazine to the barrel will have 2 pins thru it. Hitapair is right, there is fine, wavie lines the width of the barrel extension that run from the end of the barrel extension to the tang end of the receiver. The old timers often called this model the "rough back".

5. Urbans

Urbans Member

Dr. Longshot do you use this name, because there is always a longshot that you may be correct with your uneducated guesses or comments?

6. 5141

5141 Member

Question for the Model experts on here,
    I'm being serious as I know there is a wealth of knowledge available about the guns from users on here.
    How much of a discount or deduction is there in a 3 pin gun versus a 2 pin earlier mfg. date Original unaltered Model 12 Trap.
    I ask because I have a later (1962) serial range 1,9xx xxx range 3 Pin MC stock 30" FC Trap I was going to list on Gunbroker,but am now considering listing on here first.
    I would appreciate Knowledgeable Winchester guys giving their opinion on value of 2 pin vs. 3 pin.
    Thanks

7. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

I am still confused. I have a 1955 Mod 12 with a solid rib and a 3" chamber full choke 30" barrel. All original
    I looked at the rib and the barrel band and do not see what you are talking about regarding a 2 pin gun.
    Does anyone know if this is a 2 pin gun?

8. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

A two pin gun in identical, original condition will be worth more than a three pin, but problems in originality or condition in either gun will bring the value down drastically. It is almost impossible to sell a Model 12 trap gun on this site without pictures. There is not a lot of difference in the typewritten condition of a $400 gun and a $2000 gun. Pictures make a big difference.

9. gridlock

gridlock Member

If you are looking for knowledgeable Winchester guys I sure would'nt consider Dr Longsquat's imput. He is a Jack of all Trades,Master of none and a DR. he is NOT.

10. Dr.Longshot

Barfin: You don't know your Model 12 ribs, that is not a ventilated milled rib in picture.

Someone post a pic of a 3 pin rib for him.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. gridlock

gridlock Member

If you are looking for knowledgeable Winchester guys I sure would'nt consider Dr Longsquat's imput. He is a Jack of all Trades,Master of none and a DR. he is NOT.

12. Dr.Longshot

Barfin: You don't know your Model 12 ribs, that is not a ventilated milled rib in picture.

Someone post a pic of a 3 pin rib for him.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

13. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I wonder why no one ever refers to a Rem. 31 TC as a milled rib 31?

Actually, it is a true milled rib gun, whereas the model 12 is more of a milled post gun?????????????????????????????????????

Regards......Gerald

14. TjayE

TjayE Member

Gerald, (over the hill) you know not what you speak. The early M12 DID have a milled rib. The later M12 had the milled posts. If you need any info on the subject, I believe "barfin" is an excellent source as he has shown the true "milled rib" in his pictures above. Tom

15. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

TjayE, I think you are referring to the solid rib, which, although made of milled steel, is not normally referred to as the "milled rib". The "milled rib" referred to as such by collectors, is the two pin ventilated rib.

16. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

Two pin Milled ribs have lines that go across the rib, Three pin ribs the lines go up and down the rib. Henry

17. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Hfrog

Thanks for the update.

I should have included the word Ventilated, which is a little more involved in the machining process than a solid rib. Quality none the less on either gun.

Regards....Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

model 12 2 pin trap gun

model 12 trap 2 pin