1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12, 28 ga question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Turbo1, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turbo1

Turbo1 TS Member

A recent thread posed the question "How do you know your model 12, 28 ga is correct?". I've owned a model 12, 28 ga solid rib, stamped skeet for many years. What is the best way to confirm it is correct? Let us know, thank you, K & C
    turbo1_2010_260749.jpg

turbo1_2010_260750.jpg

2. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

It's really hard to tell with 100% certainty unless you're the original owner. Sell it to me and save yourself the stress of worrying --- got $1,000 in my pocket ready to go.

3. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Ask around & find a good Win book. Sometimes you see them at a gun show & you can buy one or sneak a quick peak. If you really run into trouble,e-mail me,my buddy has a good one. Tom

4. Turbo1

Turbo1 TS Member

Thanks for the offer. Thank you for the book suggestion, I'll look for that. The serial number range is 8069XX

5. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

A high percentage of the 28 gauges you see being passed off as factory were really built up on 16 gauge receivers ( which at one time you couldnt give a 16 gauge away)

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Your gun is in the correct serial number range and looks correct. Pull off the butt stock and the back of the frame should be stamped 28!

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I suppose this is one of the reasons you always get a fair deal from the Boomer. Shoot often and well while we can, God Bless, Bob

8. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

But receivers are reserial numbered and the back of the receiver also- now you can then check the two digit and 3 digit numbers on the small parts and see if they match

They dont have the records for all the model 12s made so you really need an expert on model 12 28 gauges. Lots of experienced people have been taken with 28 gauges

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. boomer

Upon reflection, I've never seen a faked solid rib gun. I'm sure they exist, but it is harder to execute that one. I've had fakes with perfectly marked Winchester barrels that included the 2 7/8" chamber stamping. There were original barrels that were used in some of these gun, but they were all vent ribbed--some with round post and donut hole base.

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Never seen a solid rib fake. The stock should be marked "28 ga" too, some were.

11. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

There are at least two guys out there with the original roll stamps and the ability to make model 12 and 42 solid ribs EXACTLY like the factory.One has the original Winchester polishing machinery. Neither had anything to do with Andy's. The roll stamps I have seen were all post war but the others are most likely out there also. Jeff

12. Turbo1

Turbo1 TS Member

Thank you to each of you for your posts & skilled feedback. This is very helpful. I've owned this gun for over 30 years, it loves chuckars, quail & pheasants! I'll explore your ideas on correctness. Thanks again.

13. Turbo1

Turbo1 TS Member

Update: I removed the back stock as suggested, and was happy to find 28 stamped on receiver. Thank you to everyone again for the suggestions & feedback.

14. boomer

Your gun just had the "right" look in the photo. I was pretty sure you'd find that 28 on the frame. You've got a gun that would bring at least 5K at auction.

15. g7777777

g7777777 Active Member

Having 28 stamped on the back doesnt put you any closer to it being real- that is done on every fake I have ever seen

Now a couple of people have said they havent seen a fake with a matt rib- well if you were fooled- how would you know?

I have seen a fake with a matt rib so identified by an expert.

Yours may be real but only a real expert would be able to tell-

Regards from Iowa

Gene

16. Turbo1

Turbo1 TS Member

thank you Boomer & Gene. appreciate the cautionary input. this horse has run its race.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.