1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Model 12-20ga. 2-1/2 inch chamber?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

In all my years shooting model 12s, I saw my first model 12 20 2-1/2 inch gun today. It's been reblued and looks to be in real good shape. 25-1/2 inch full choke. Any idea what these things are selling for? I don't recall ever seeing any 2-1/2 inch shells for them either? Thanks guys. Hap

2. Prescott Gene

Prescott Gene Member

The first model 12's were produced in 20 gauge with 2-1/2 inch chambers (in 1912). They manufactured them for a few years then went to the 2-3/4 inch chambers. They produced the model 12 in 12 gauge around 1913 or so.

Gene

3. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

check the inside it most likely has been opened to handle the 2 3/4 shells rick

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

check the inside it most likely has been opened to handle the 2 3/4 shells rick

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I have a 16 ga. Mod 12 made in 1921 also has the same chambering. Winchester went to the 2 3/4" chambering in the 20 and 16 ga. in 1926. There is more to rechambering than just "opening up the inside" the chamber must be reamed, the ejection port has to be lengthend and the forcing cone also. Simmons does this for $250. Early Browning A5's also were chambered this way, in 20 and 16 ga. Shells are available, one source is http://www.Polywad-shotgun-shells.com/vintager/. J.Woolsey

6. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Hey hap I know you are asking about the 20 gauge but just want to add my 2 cent's worth ok my Skunk Grade has a 1920 year model barrel and in the past it was miss firing, took it to a gun smith and he said it had a 2 1/2 inch chamber after he done as J.Woolsey said in his post above it never miss fired ever since.

Ok it didn't cost me anything to get it fixed as some would say in the past if you scratch my back then I will scratch your's so nice to have friends that know's how to fix a gun.

Fog

7. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

I think that the early 16 gague model 12 was 2 9/16 chamber not 2 1/2 . I have three boxes of those 2 9/16 shells . My grandfather and his two brothers bought 3 of those guns in the early 20 's , i have one and my cousin has the other , the other unaccounted for , i would like to find all three.

8. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The chambers actually measure out to 2-9/16. Both the 16 and 20 ga. guns had them on some guns. I have a buddy who has one and I trimmed and reloaded some 20 hulls to work in the chamber.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Hap, if it has been reblued the collector value has diminished. For a shooter its unbelieveable what they bring in certain areas. Would need some more info for a better estimate but if its just a plain barrel field grade and the wood is in good shape, start at $550 and go up.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Hey guys!! I want to thank you one and all for your input!! I know nothing about this old gun except other than being re-blued, it's in real good shape, both wood and metal. The bolt lug in the receiver is in great shape too, not even a slight ridge which may mean several other parts are worn as well. As said above, it has been re-blued and has lost it's real model 12 collector value. Light, easy to carry and operate, I think I'll buy it anyway for pointed pheasants! Martin, I'll send you a picture of this gun shortly? Thanks guys! Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.