1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod Good, Full Good, IM Not Good?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brent375hh, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I finally patterned my gun 3K rounds after I bought it. I shot 2 targets with each choke at 30 yards. Both the modified and full produced fairly even patterns differing slightly in size, but not quite as much as I would expect.

The IM threw a pattern about the same size as the full but it was ugly in both cases. Both tight clusters and holes big enough to miss a bird & nearly a coffe cup.

I realize that a sample of 2 each is not a science, but it did show a trend.

My gun is a XT with stock chokes.

Do some guns just not like certain constrictions? If I bought another IM might I get the same result? I am sure someone will say shoot the full and never look back.

Sorry for my newbie questions nearly every day.

Thanks.

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I am not an expert by any means but I too have an XT and I know the Full patterns better than any other choke. My scores have improved dramatically after switching from M to F. Oh yeah, I use the diana grade browning chokes made by briley.

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

The fact that you have done any pattern work at all puts you leaps & bounds beyond most trap shooters........You might try another brand of imp mod choke.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

"I shot 2 targets with each choke at 30 yards"

Two is not enough.

5. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I had problems with my Browning chokes also. Finally took
    calipers and measured them. All over the place.
    Switched to Angle Port, measured them, then patterned.
    All patterned as they should and the constrictions were within
    .001 of where they should have been.
    Not a cheap solution, but it will make you happy.

Mike Cunningham

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Maybe you could just borrow one from someone to try . The one you have now could be defective in the way the manufactured it ??

7. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

+1 for Angle Port chokes!
    Doug Allison

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Agreed - tube markings don't tell you everything.

My preferred choke tube for my 682 Beretta is marked IMOD and has .033" of constriction. This tube patterns better ( high percentage in 20") than any of the other tubes I have including the ones marked full.

The only way to know what is going to be the best for your needs is to pattern them just like you did. It is a lot of work though and it gets old fast. My hat is off to several of the guys on this forum that have spent hundreds if not thousands of hours studying shotgun patterns.

This is why several outfits make and fit custom choke tubes.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Unlike girlfriends, two is just not enough.... like flipping a coin, it's not a trend...

good examples though about the choke constrictions being all over the place with Browning, Beretta, et....

A bore gage will tell you a lot first off... then follow Neil Winstons advice on other threads about the 10 target suggestion..

Good stuff for a boring winter...

Jim

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Big M and Mike C. are pointing you in the right direction. Don't believe the markings, you need to measure the constriction. That applies to all makes. You will find some interesting information in that alone. Then you need to follow some info from Neil Winston, look for his threads. He has done an incredible amount of work in that area. As Big M says you will be busy on some crappy days. Good luck, Bob

11. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I did measure them. .017, .025, .034

I am not worried about what exact size they are, only the fact that the IM throws a very uneven pattern even though it is in the middle of the range.

I realize that two each is not a lot of information, but finding a hole that a clay could get through even with quite a bit of face showing in any pattern at 30 yards is telling especially when it is within 5 inches of center. I know that shot does not fly in a pancake.

Here is where my brain is flawed. IM is the choke that I WANT to use because it just sounds like a good split between "hard hits and forgiving size". I am
    not usaully a voodoo guy.

12. JD45

JD45 Member

Shoot two chokes at 32yds. Draw a 24" circle, centered on the most dense area. Grab a marker and start counting pellet holes. Then you will truly know if your two chokes shoot the same.

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Brent, then I suggest sending your IM to Wilkinson, tell him what you want with it.. and never put it on the paper...

Bruce Buck has often stated if it breaks targets DO NOT put it on the paper...

Somethings are best not known...

jim

14. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

you have to try a few different loads before making any rash judgements.

One of the best shooting guns I ever had was a fixed IM BT-99 that would absolutely smash 27 yard targets.

Put some Green Dot or Titegroup through that thing and report back.

HM

15. BUFFALO SOLDIER

BUFFALO SOLDIER Member

I have an XT also, get a Comp-n-choke IM put it in leave it in and don't look back, pattern like you want believe.

16. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

You better hope Neil doesn't read this-Two shots show a Trend-crap. He'll be on you like a big bird! LOL.

Ajax

17. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Use the choke that works for you and throw the rest away .

Now that the problem is solved have some fun .

18. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

I shot a Briley thin wall .025 choke in my MX3 SPCL that absolutely hammered 27yd targets....never shot it on paper...just admired the hits. Got the K80 Trap Special a couple years back and tried the .025 IM out of the box. Very unimpressive hits. Pulled out the .030 LF Titanium and absolutely obliterated 27yd targets. Been shooting that choke ever since for singles/dbls top barrel/ and handicap. By the way...I did shoot that .030 choke at a grease pattern board in Vernal. Definitely, the most perfect, uniform distribution I have ever witnessed. The really cool thing is I get the same performance with 8's or 7 1/2s. My Briley HATED 8's...I shot 7 1/2s for sngl/dbl/caps out of that tube..... Jerry

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Here is where my brain is flawed. IM is the choke that I WANT to use because it just sounds like a good split between "hard hits and forgiving size". I am not usaully a voodoo guy.

brent375hh, if your looking for a happy medium I'm here to tell you that your quest is going to be long and hard to find enough difference between a mod. and full to justify gaining you targets up close. The Imp. Mod designation for choke is simply a niche strategy originated for trapshooters. That strategy is working on you. But if it makes you happy then go for it.

Also, my feeling is that in shooting two patterns each that should they show very similar results then it does show enough of a trend to warrant concern. When I'm working with a new gun, generally I shoot three of each load and look for likely canidates to proceed on with. Final testing to proof a load to suit me may then consist of a minimum of an additional 10. Then they go to the line for final proofing.

I would look at Stu Wrights and Carlson chokes if your determined to find that magic one. But then I know nothing and Iam sure some folks will be along directly to point that out....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.