1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod Choke at 20

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goldenkc, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goldenkc

goldenkc TS Member

Been using full choke for practice, and switching to mod choke
    for handicap league shoot at 16. Now we are moving to the 20.
    Will the mod choke still do the job or is it time to switch to
    a IM or Full.

Keith

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It should do the job ok

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Yes, I know and I would have said same thing but - I took a brand new BT100 out and broke 97 from the 27 yd with a mod so I am a believer

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Use what you are confident with. After thirty six years of shooting the TB with full choke I had a slump last year. Tried lots of stuff, including buying an old TB trap barrel in modified. Finally went back to the original full choke barrel, the original aa loads with 7 1/2 shot and quit screwing around. Average is back in the mid to high ninties and I break birds at any yardage the event is being held.

As my wizardly wife tells me, my mantra should be "change bad, same good."

Use what you have confidence in.

5. IM390

IM390 Member

no problem just rememeber your mod can be greatly different than someone else's full. Mod is just a name, the dia of the choke, the bore, the powder, the load, the wad and the shot and the shooter can all have a great difference in what distance yoiu shoot. Example, I shoot back bored Beretta with a windjammer wad with red dot in a 1 1/8 oz 8 shot 2.75 dram load using an Optima IM and I go back to 23 yards. A friend goes back to 25 and another guy goes back to the fence but changes to green dot and Improved.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

How fast do you get on the targets? MOD should work fine. And as others have stated, chokes are different. My Carlson's IM Target choke shoots a better pattern than my Browning Full. I use my IM from 16 to 27. Wayne

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I shoot the vast majority of sporting clays shots with Improved cylinder and I can guarantee that many of those shots are much further and more complicated than a 20 yard handicap at standard trap.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

8. KF9VH

KF9VH TS Member

You should have no problem with a mod choke back to 24 yards. In fact I have been toying with a L Mod (.015) back to 24 with my 391 optima and am getting excellent breaks.

Bob makes a good case.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Modified should work fine but, keep in mind that a modified will not produce a pattern that is much larger than a full choke. All that happens is that some of the shot in the 20 inch core of a full choke pattern are moved out into the 30 inch ring. I see little advantage to this and some possible disadvantages.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.