1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mod 50 steel shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tracyhunter, Aug 2, 2013.

1. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

can you shoot steel shot in a winchter mod 50?

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I have a Model 50 and I will Not shoot steel shot through mine.

3. glenfish

glenfish Member

If I had a full choke gun I would not shoot steel. Mod or ic don't think it would hurt.

4. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Target loads should be ok based on our experience with steel shot. We've been shooting steel shot at our trap club for about 10 years now and no one has reported barrel damage. The 50 is older so I'm guessing the barrel has a fixed choke in it. My 870 fixed full choke, which is actually extra full, has taken tens of thousands of rounds of steel shot (#7) over the years and not had any problems. Now if you were to shoot steel shot magnum hunting loads, that's another matter.

What specific shells are you concerned about?

5. SX12

SX12 Member

Absolutely no problem unless you shoot loads that got wet and rusted the shot together so that they can not disperse in the barrel. i have shot 100's of rounds in my full-choked model 12 duck gun and my unloader bore gauge shows no change or damage. I wouldn't shoot steel in the thin barreled Belgian Brownings as you might get a compression (RING) bulge, which is cosmetic only, but is a bulge. I have shot lots of BB and BBB thru my auto-5 with the heavier Japanese barrel without any consequences.
    SX12

6. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have bulged two full choke 870 barrels shooting lettered size shot, mostly size T. The upside is that they pattern better bulged then they did pre=bulge. Here is the thing about all this. So what if you did ruin the barrel by putting a cosmetic ring toward the end? At this point the only good the gun is for shooting upland birds, Full choke can be great for some upland birds but most are shot closer so a more open choke can be better. The gun isn't worth having tubes installed so.... What do you do? Unless it has tremendous sentimental value, ether hang it on the wall or let the chips fall where they may.

Sooner or later all bird hunting will be done with steel. Mark my words... It will happen and then guns with fixed full chokes will have no value unless you just shoot them.Jeff

7. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Interesting perspectives...

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Speaking of shot rusted together, has anybody ever witnessed that? I submerged a Fed Steel load in a bucket of water for a few weeks then let the shell sit on shelf in my basement for more than a year B4 cutting it open and was surprised to find no rust and all the bb's looked good as new.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Way too many variables here.

If the steel shot is older, the wads will not be as thick as the newer stuff, and thus more likely to bulge a full choke barrel.

My M50 has fairly thin walls, and I will not shoot steel through the 2 fixed barrels. I do also have a Poly choke barrel and would shoot steel through it with an open setting no more than IC.

So you can :

get another barrel

ream the choke

put a Poly on

HM

10. SX12

SX12 Member

I have never personally witnessed rusted shot, and I cut apart some loads that have been in wet hunting situations and appear to be several years old. The rusted shot idea I proposed came from a conversation with Tom Roster, the man who did the US Fish and Wildlife toxic shot testing. He evidently has seen this happen. Roster also mentioned that he had done destructive testing with 59 Winchester barrels--the ones with the thin steel liner and wound with 500 miles of fiberglass thread. Roster told me he was never able to bulge a 59 barrel with steel shot. We did not talk about the shot size he used in testing.

Incidently, Jeff, I have a full-choked 870 barrel with 40 pts constriction. Do you, by chance know the before/after choke measurements of your ring-bulged 870 barrels?

SX12

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I do not know the before and after. These were just 870 field barrels with fixed full chokes. We shot these back in the old days before any of us had extra money! I will say this. If you shoot big steel.... BBB T or F through a choke that full, it will bulge the barrel. These older 870 barrels didn't last that long before they bulge appeared. Less then 1000 rounds of T's.