1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod. 31 serial#s age

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ross, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a serial # reference list for mod. 31 Rems.?? I have tried the B L A C K P O W E R method you know the one x-y-z---uu-tt etc. & it doesn't work out because it shows a 5 digit # as newer than a 6 digit #. all numbers match on receivers--bbls. & trigger assemblies etc., so either I'm doing something really stooooopid or?????? Thanks in advance. Ross Puls

2. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Ross, Google up the Remington Collectors Association, I believe they have a link to a chart there. The site researcher (David) link can probably help you too. He dated mine to 1937 via the SN, but there's something weird with the left side barrel stamp letters that we can't figure out.
    Dave

3. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

There should be two or three letters on the left side of the barrel next to the serial number. The first letter designates the month using BLACKPOWDERX (B is 1 or January and X is 12 or December). The second letter or two letters designate the year according to a chart. 1931 is Z, 1932 is A, 1942 is L. It then goes to double letters MM being 1943. It progresses up to ZZ for 1953 except that OO, QQ, and VV are omitted. Simple huh. I am looking at one here that has EG which designates a manufacture date of October 1938.

4. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Here you go Ross. It's the Remington Society, not "Collectors."

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/

5. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

The letters on my 31 are RRP. David at the RSA site says it doesn't make since since the gun and matching barrel date to 1937. Beats me.

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Thanks Hawk 46 & ou.3200, I tried those methods, maybe I'm not thinking straight because the serial #s range from 5 digit (74xxx) to 6 digit (119xxx) & with the letters stamped on left side of bbl. w-x-y-z-or ww--tt--uu etc. it shows them all made within 4 yrs. that's a lot (50 thousand in 4 years) considering how few were made in comparison to M.12s @2 million +& 870s @ 10 million. & their short production time, 1931 to 1949. Oh well they all shoot just fine regardless of when they were made, have ones with all the different trigger assemblies, I prefer the later ones with the aluminum body(with the long trigger blade) they just feel better to me. been shooting the same one for 35+ yrs. How about all you other 31 shooters???? Thanks Again! Ross

7. XTerminator

XTerminator Member

I have a Remington 31 marked "Remington Model 31-C 684x" on the left side of the receiver. It has a 32" solid rib full choke barrel,checkered semi-fancy wood and a steel trigger guard. Seems to be a fancy field or waterfowl gun. Absolutely smokes clay targets.
    I have never been able to find a 31-C listed in any of the books, only a 31-TC.
    Anybody else ever seen one?

Steve

8. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

There is no 31C listed on the Remington site. That must be a very rare model worth around a million bucks. :)

9. XTerminator

XTerminator Member

I think so too. But I'll make ya a helluva deal. 8)

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.