1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod 12?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by southjblue, May 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I am still interested in a mod 12---Just want to have around but don't know the difference between a 2 pin--3pin---milled rib and what is the most sought after of them all---I had one yrs ago from the early 60,s and sold it but now I am confused---I dont think I will be shooting it but just like the old ladies.Help if U have time---Thanks---SJB---

2. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

With over 2 million of them made over a number of decades, the variations are myriad.

Buy Dave Riffle's book on the Model 12. The subject you ask for is more than any of us can impart via a bulletin board post.

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks Baron---SJB---

4. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Where can I find that book?---sjb---

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Myraid---(tens of thousands)---Best I get the book---Thanks---sjb---

6. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Rec a pm from Hitapair that gives me just about all I need---Thanks to him---I'll B looking for a nice 2 pin with milled rib if they are around or I may have to settle for a 3 pin---PM me if there are any for sale---I have a lead on one and am waiting for more info and pics but will keep my options open till I make a dicession---sjb---

7. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Could someone send me a pic of a duckbill milled rib with a shot of the two pins---If that is too much I understand---Thanks---sjb---

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter if it is a Winchester or after market rib ... 2 pin, 3 pin, duckbill, etc.

Just find a pretty one, buy it and shoot it ... gar-on-tee that it won't be sitting at home much!

9. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks to all---The pics really helped---Keep me in mind for a nice one if I don't connect with one I am working on---sjb---

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The "three pin" will have three pins where the two pin has two. The receiver extension on the three pin will not be matted by machine and the receiver top will not be matted by machine as the two pin extension and receiver top are. The donut post and the round post ribs have extensions but they are not the wide "duck bill" extensions like the two pin and the three pin ribs have. The "two pin" is a work of art and you should try to find one. However, you are more likely to find a three pin in nearly unused condition since the two pin was made from 1917 and the three pin was introduced about 1961. The "milled rib" refers to the fact that the two pin rib barrel was "milled" with the support posts as part of the barrel forging. Don't ask how much that would cost to do today. "Milled rib" does not refer to the surface of the receiver or rib or rib extension. It refers to the way the barrel was forged.

11. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Thanks eightbore---I am going to try to find a 2 pin in near mint condition---_I only shoot K-guns but want a Mod 12 in my possession---sjb---

12. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

I think that Packman 13 had a nice one for sale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.