1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod 12 Shoot it or Save it?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I am lucky enough to own a Pigeon Grade Trap Mod 12 # 5 engraving and A carved wood made in 1928. It was one of a few trap guns I own. It was gifted to me,by my deceased friends wife. I took the gun out twice since owning it and shot trap with it prior to that I don't think the gun was ever fired. I struggle with shooting it or saving it? At this point the gun has to the best of my knowledge 100 rounds through it. The blueing on the tube that the slide rides on is perfect as is the gun over all so the question is, do I shoot it or keep it in the safe? I do not have the box or any paper work, numbers match and the gun is beautiful. What do you guys think?

2. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Shoot it and take good care of it. A guy once said, "I hate to see Ferrari's without stone chips on the lower valance"...or "Real Hot Rods have paint chips"...There is a difference between abuse and fair use. What good is the gun otherwise unless you live in an area where you can keep it on constant display?

3. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

What do you want to save it FOR? To pass on to someone... give it to them now. As retirement income... won't be worth much, relatively speaking. To keep in a closet and fondle once a year... waste of a good gun.

Shoot it!

Andy Moreland

4. glcmedic118

glcmedic118 TS Member

My Father always said he didn't buy them to look at them. He bought them to enjoy them. Treat your model 12 with the respect such a fine made gun deserves and enjoy the experience of shooting such a well made gun.

5. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Sad but in ten years no one will know or care about a Model-12 .

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Your convincing me guys, I often think as you all say shoot it and enjoy but there's this other side that sasy save it keep it perfect and at some point pass it on or sell it. I'm leaning towards shooting it more every day onthe blue bird days.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Alf, there will be a couple that will provided we are still living.

Bruce, shoot it.

8. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

All you need to do is look what the young guys buy .

ALF

9. gunner2

gunner2 TS Member

Bruce,

I think you should sell it to me, so I can shoot it.

Jon

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Bruce: Shoot it and let the fellow shooters drool over such a fine and unique gun. If selling it is your intent allow me to purchase it and I will shoot it. :) Ed

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Using different analogies... people tend to save the good "china" and eat off plastic or paper. People use paper instead of linen. Some don't use the "silver" or sit in the living rooms... what "guest" is more important than we are?!

I have a dishwasher and while we don't have "china" we use our nice porcelain everyday, even for a hotdog or italian beef. I like glass, not paper/plastic cups.

I have nice watches I wear and antique pool cues in good condition I shoot billards with, so why not shoot a fine gun in working condition?!

Bruce, no one is more important to you, than you - I know I don't have to tell you that either...

Jay

12. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I hunt with my Dad's old M-12 20 ga. It helps keep his memory alive. Maybe shooting trap with your friends M-12 will keep his memory alive for you. I'll bet that he would want you to shoot it.

13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Shoot it and take good care of it. Nothing wrong with a model 12. They are great shooters and will be winning trophies long after ALF has left the game!

14. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

slide action you did,t get it did you . I have shot Model 12,s for years just not much anymore . If you look around the trap line you still see them . Some old fart still pumping the model 12 but you see it less and less . Next time your at a registerd shoot ask some guy about 30 or so for info on a model-12 . More then likely he does not know the make .

Fact is the old Winchester Model 12 guys are dying or dead . I,m talking about real trap shoots and not the I have one to guys . I started in 1968 then the Model 12 was king . I had an old 97 as it was all I had to shoot .

I bought a new Model 12 Trap in about 1970 $375.00 no tax .

ALF

15. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Shoot it.
    You are all probably right about the younger generations not knowing how great this gun is.
    I am 33 years old and love model 12s. Currently have a 1954 3inch duck and a 1927 field.

I shoot these guns regulary at trap, also hunt with them shooting doves and ducks(with bismuth shot).

If I ever have kids, these are going to be the first guns I put in their hands; just like there were the first guns I used when I was young.

If Model 12s trend out, good because I will buy as many as I can.

16. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

it is already used and out of the box- shoot it

17. mike b.

mike b. Member

Sell it and buy 3 or more shooters with the $$ !!

18. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Alf, no disrespect, but I am a regular attendee at the Grand and I still see PLENTY of model 12 shooters! Yes, a lot of OLD GUYS shoot them, but I have seen many others including several women who swear by them. As any gun that is "not in production anymore" their numbers are limited by that simple fact. I would wager a lot more youngsters know what a model 12 is than you think, but even if they don't it is no reflection on how one shoots! I have found some younsters who are not familiar with much about trap in general(not just guns). Model 12s are not the most popular guns, but IF they were still in production they would STILL be selling them. For people who know guns, they are one of the more recognized firearms and will be around(and winning trophies) for many years to come! A guns "Popularity" does no necessarily make it good or bad.Some guns are populkar simply because they make a lot of them, while hero worship also plays a factor. I have seen many shooters shooting some "whiz bang" high dollar models because old SO and SO Big Shot has one. The problem is old SO and SO can SHOOT his very well while THEY couldn't hit a broad butted Bull with the same type gun! Bring your 'young guy" gun to a protectiom or annie shoot somewhere in the KY hills or the upper mid west. If you feel lucky bet heavy against those "antiquated" model 12s, but if I were you, I'd save a little cash back for get home money. My guess is a lot of those model 12 shooters will be leaving with a lot of YOURS!

19. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

<a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=Model12jpg1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=Model128.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/Model122.jpg<a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=Model124.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

20. WarEagle2017

WarEagle2017 Active Member

<a href="http://s108.photobucket.com/albums/n37/drhuner/?action=view&current=Model122.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

who still shoots a mod12