1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mod 12 pigeon engraved in Japan

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is an example of a mod 12 pigeon that was engraved in Japan. I had posted these pics awhile back to see if any one on TS could id the engraver since there is no signature to be found. No conclusions were drawn. I sent to gun to Stu Wright to have him restore the gun. He was the expert that id the style of engraving that done in the 60s when it was much more affordable to have quality engraving done in Japan rather than the US. He also verified that is was in fact a true pigeon grade trap. These pics are before restoration. I looked for a few years before grabbing this mod 12 wish I was younger I would collect more than the 2 pigeons I currently own. BTW this is a shooter.

2. striper

striper Member

Can any one give me an estimate as to what a job like this would cost at todays prices. TY

3. striper

striper Member

Dr Bill thanks for you info. That really give me the background and completes the story. I was an art dealer for many years and really appreciate the quality of engraving on all weapons. Seeing the eye candy on TS.com is really one of the real highlights of coming here several times a day. Whether it be the grain in the wood or the engraving on the metal its all a beautiful art form it just happens to be on a firearm. Thanks again. Any estimate as to what this would cost these days?

4. ferlach

ferlach Member

Every engraver has different rate based on their name and assessment of customer's know how of engravings. One may quote you $1000.00 for this work and other one may ask $20000.00. It also depends engraver has lot of work in his / her plate or looking for work. If he/she has lot of work, you will get very high quote, plus added attitude. If he/she does not have work, you will see engraver on the knees begging.
    If you are to commission someone to have a firearm engraved. Here are few cautions:
    Ask for a drawing before metal is cut because engraver will try to make the scroll big and broad to save time.
    Ask for size of inlay / birds because engraver will try to make is smaller to save cost of material and time.
    Ask for a definite completion date. Otherwise, you will be chasing engraver for a long time.
    Ask for cost estimate with plus / minus 10%. It will always be plus.
    Good luck.

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

There was a gentleman outside the Main Gate at Yokota AFB in Japan in the late 60's that did beautiful work. He had a large scrapbook of various engravings for you to choose from. When Olin-Kodensha was formed for the 101 he was hired as their chief engraver. Back then if you wished to have a handgun engraved advance notice was required to the police. They would meet your airplane at the bottom of the stairs to receive your firearm,take it to the police station and lock it up. The engraver was allowed to dis-assemble it at the station and take one part at a time to his shop. When the work was done he would assemble it under police supervision. They would return it to you at your departure aircraft and stay there at the airport until you actually took off for the U.S.. An acquaintance decided to bypass all of this during the Vietnam days and he did 3 days in a small cell followed by 5 days on house arrest in the Tokyo Hilton. Long time ago.

6. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

DB Bill...How would you reconize engraving done in Japan? Thanks WC

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Don't know why but they all seem to have the same mountains. Also the anatomy of the ducks are goofy on most. Jeff

8. B.C.

B.C. Member

Here is some engraving by Ken Hurst, former Winchester engraver. Hope you like it . B.C.

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a32/wvfc/?action=view&current=huntingscenebison.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a32/wvfc/?action=view&current=H5-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a32/wvfc/?action=view&current=Buffalo.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

9. Model12

Model12 Member

There were engravers from Japan working at the Grand in the mid 60's. Bob G

10. dolphin77

dolphin77 Member

The engraving looks pretty good, the pheasants look pretty good, but the ducks are a little round and plump...would be good eating...WC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.