1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== Mock Gun Collector Investment Contest ==

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Feb 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

One of the reasons I enjoy guns is that they're one of the few things you can buy, enjoy for several years, and then sell at a a profit. I feel like buying a new toy soon, at a modest price, and I'm completely open minded about what kind of gun it can be. But what gun to buy? I normally just go to a gun show and bargain hunt, but this time let's make a game of it...

Let's say you're in a contest which pays the winner $10-Million if your $2000 gun investment yields the most profit after 15 years. Exactly what would you buy for $2000? An old Winchester rifle? A Colt Python? A Browning Medalist and a couple 3-Screw Ruger Single Sixes? A model 12 shotgun? A military rifle of some sort? A Woodsman Match Target pistol? An old Ithaca 4E SBT? A 1911? S&W revolvers or a nice 41 Target Pistol? Five Nylon-66 rifles, LOL? A Browning Trombone? Three Marlin 39 Mounties? A black gun? An old LC Smith? Something else?

The challenge is to predict which gun(s) will appreciate in value the most and have a solid market in 15 years, considering everything from cultural and demographic changes, to possible government legistation against gun types or ammo. Keep in mind that I like to shoot my guns rather than have Safe Queens, but I might consider one of she's pretty enough, LOL. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

-Gary

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Largest profit or percentage increase? A gun you buy for $500 today and sell for $1K later is a 100% gain. A $2k gun that sells for $2,500 later is only 25% increase. Both guns made $500, but one was a better investment.

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

A 10" Ruger flattop might still be had for under $2000. I made a nice piece of change on the three I sold a few years ago, two 44's and a 6-groove .357. Should have kept them, they just keep rising in value. I think the lower production big bore Ruger #1's might be worth picking up too.

4. Claysmoke27

Claysmoke27 Member

Pre-MIM Smith revolvers

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

OK Rastoff, instead of a fixed $2,000 investment, lets say any gun investment between $500 & $2,000 and the winner is determined by % increase in value over the next 15 years. It can be a rough Broomhandle or Luger, a mint Marlin 39A, an OK TM-1. or anything else.

What would you pick?

-Gary

6. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

An early (pre-98) Winchester model 1886 with special order features and a rare caliber in outstanding condition.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Easy, #12 -- we've got a $2,000 limit, LOL.

-Gary

8. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Where can I find one of those sub-$2000 1886's? Sign me up for a dozen or so. :)

9. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Full capacity Glock magazines.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Black Guns i.e. "Assault Rifles". If the anti's get their way they will shoot up(pun intended) in price again. Make sure to pair your Black Gun investments with hi-capacity mags. They will be a hot commodity as well.---Matt

grntitan_2009_2503204.jpg

grntitan_2009_2503205.jpg

11. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Anything in a full auto (Class 3)would be the best investment.
    Mike Battista

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mike--would be very hard to find a full auto anything for $2000 or less. Everyone i have priced was closer to $4000 just to start. I do agree with your statement but the question was up to a $2000 investment.

Matt

13. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Titan is correct. I had a chance in '95 to buy an M1A1 full auto. $3200 + the stamps. Kick myself about once a month for not buying it.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

OK, some people think a black gun and some high capacity mags might be a good investment of $2000. But what about other ideas? I enjoy owning sporting type firearms, quality hanguns, Winchesters and American Classics (like Belgian Brownings, LOL).

Thanks for your continued suggestions.

-Gary

15. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Come on, trust your gut, Big Guy! Why don'tcha spring for about 1000 Palin/Trump bumper stickers. You'll make a killin'!

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I don't need Palin stickers, Kit. I've got a giant poster of her. Sometimes I hold it up with just one hand.

-Gary

17. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

LOL GW, and sometimes you can hold it up with NO HANDS. The only way to make money off guns is to hang around the Gun Club carpark...find someone who is angry enough to throw their gun in the river and buy it for a song...on about Tuesday you'll get the phonecall...sell it back for a 10% profit, and repeat next week. Cheers-Graham.

18. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Live on the edge, Brother. Tape it up on the wall.

19. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I have read that Old Winchester rifles have been the best investment with the highest rate of return that one could make, outperforming any other investment. Not sure if that is still true but I'd guess it is.
    They are long past the $2k point. I always enjoy looking at them but they are expensive and one needs to really be knowledgeable before buying.

20. shark1

shark1 Member

Condition and price are every thing! Michael Sharkey, DC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.