1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by NANK, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NANK

NANK TS Member

Would Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease be a good choice to use on the lugs, hinge pin etc on a new BT 99? Browning recommends their gun oil, but I have a can of the grease in the garage. Thanks for the help.

2. Duck

Duck Member

You bet, as good as it get's!. I ran out a few year's ago and have since switched to Super Lube it come's in a handy 3oz screw top tube.
    Being a new gun the oil might make it slightly easier to open?.

3. NANK

NANK TS Member

That is great, what I was hoping to be able to use. I will use just enough because it is new and pretty tight. Thanks for the info.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Some of the BTs are pretty tight. Lube it every 50 rounds or so for a while.

5. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Mobile 1 red grease is what Dennis DeVault told me to use on my Mach 1. An $8 tub will last your gun club 20 years. gyrine

6. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I been using it on my Kolar since day one. Besides that I like the pretty red color. It seems to be as good if not better than any other types of greese these boys sale a 2 oz. jar of for $7.95.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Mobil 1 will work but it's an overkill and frankly, it's thicker than you need it to be. Since you have it, use it. I prefer an #1 grade grease like Lubri-Plate 630-AA.

MK

8. NANK

NANK TS Member

The Mobil 1 is a thicker grease and red in color, not as thick as some but more than an oil.It is very tight, more so with the grease than oil, so I will use the oil until it breaks in. Thanks again for the input, it is appreciated.

Ken

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Use STP oil or Mobile 1 oil- better than grease-try it and you will agree

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Gunfitter Dale Tate grabbed a big jar of Vasoline to grease my gun works. He says its as good as anything out there. News to me. But, how can your argue with a master gunsmith? Jim

11. Unknown1

Yup... put some Vasoline on anything when its hot, or even warm, and watch what it does. Runs like poo through a goose. Does the same thing in your gun.

MK

12. Gil

Gil Member

Nank, I have used Mobil 1 grease on my Ljutics with good success. I wipe it off after 1000 rounds or so because grease catches dirt. We have plenty of dust and dirt blowing around here in AZ so I wipe the gun clean. I don't think you can buy better and I bought a tube that should last a lifetime. George Miler

13. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Just so the rest of you know. I bought some of that Mob-1 grease today. Look forward to using it. Jim

14. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

poo through a goose??? Now that's funny!

I use STOS, a bearing lubricant that can take the heat without pooing!!

15. NANK

NANK TS Member

I have a 1lb can of the Mobil 1, purchased a plastic puppy feeding syringe, fill it half way and keep it in a baggie. Should last a very long time. Great site, lots of helpful information here.

Ken

16. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Used the Mobil 1 grease today. A little goes a long way. Still, for those areas where you can't get to you must still use a low viscosity gun oil. From what I've read you should pretty much take a gun apart about every 30,000 rounds and tune it up. Whatever that might take. Not that I'm an expert, but that might include changing springs and a complete cleaning. I know many of you have seen many rounds more without touching the gun other than regular cleaning. IMO, that's a testiment to the quality of the gun. A gun has got to be in top shape to give you the best. Besides, who wants to second guess if there is something wrong with they're gun when they can't crack 100 straight? Jim

17. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Argueably, the best firearms lub to use is Militec-1. This is
    the lub the military uses on the Gatling Gun which fires several
    thousand rounds a minute. It doesn't burn off. It also bonds
    within the metal surfaces. It also does not build-up residue.
    To my knowledge, there have never been any tests conducted
    on the suitability of Mobil-1 as a firearms lub. The military
    spends million's to determine the best weapons lub. Why not
    take advantage of their findings.

18. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

I heard STOS is just a food grade grease, anybody know if this is true? Thanks, Bill

19. Unknown1

Even if it is a food grade grease (which I believe it is), that simply means that it is probably has a synthetic base and that it's harmless if consumed in quantities below the FDA max of 10 ppm, not that it's inferior in some way. In fact, it may well be superior to any number of petro-based lubes.

MK

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have used some Vaseline in the bedroom years ago, but not on my Shotgun, back when things were a little tight.

Now it's just the the after thought of years ago.

Like Jeff Foxworthy said about Astro Glide, you can get a Cadillac in a Dog House.

I like CMD grease for choke tubes and hinge pins, and forearm lube.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.