1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W50

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gulfstream, May 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gulfstream

Gulfstream Member

Wondering if anyone has tried using Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W50 as a shotgun lubricant?

2. pdq

pdq Member

Not trying to sound crazy, but why wouldn't you just use a gun lubricant as a gun lubricant?

Pete

3. esbshaw

esbshaw TS Member

Gulf - Yes, have been using Mobil 1 5W30 for many years (10 at least) on all semiauto pistols and shotguns. Lifetime supply for $5. Works great with no downside that I can determine. Still use CLP on AR, however. Just habit, I guess.

4. ctreay

ctreay Member

I use Mobil 1 0-40, same as in my car. I have a container in the garage that I drain the bottles into and use that for my guns, fishing reels, door hinges and most other stuff.

ctreay

5. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I have been using a mix of Mobil 1 5W-30 and engine assembly lube for many years and wear is not a factor. JRM

6. Gulfstream

Gulfstream Member

Pete,

You're not crazy, it's a fair question. I have been told by several that the Mobil 1 product is equal to if not superior to other traditional gun lubricants. Just curious about the experiences others have had using it.

7. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

I use Lucas wheel bearing grease on my shotguns, and see no wear at all..
    $10.00 will buy enough to last everyone at the club a lifetime...

8. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

As they say on 1911 forum, they will run on crisco if you use enough of it! Tom Rhoad

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Yep I have and one time gun test reports ( a publication that doesnt take advertising) compared maybe 20 gun lubricants to a motor oil

The motor oil beat them all hands down and it was not even mobile 1 it was wold heads 30 30

Why? Because motor oil companies spend millions upon millions trying to get the lubrication issue right

gun lubrcant companies? nothing to a few thousand - not enough of a market

Try mobile one if you dont believe it or stp- that stuff is tenacious

If you put either on a brand new and very tight browning for example- it will nearly drop open

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. Gulfstream

Gulfstream Member

Gene,

Thanks for the good information! Sounds like the testing done was using 30 weight oil instead of 50. Did I read that right in your post?

11. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

I have often wondered if some vendors just rebottled motor oil and sold it as their own brand/formula gun lubricant. I'm not saying there is anything wrong that, but it would seem to be a great way to make money.

JMHO

Jim C

12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

If Mobile 1 was so great on firearms, the US Military would
    use it. They don't!. They use Militec was which was originally formulated
    for use on the Gatling gun. To my knowledge, no testing lab has tested
    Mobile 1 on firearms. The FBI lubricate tests indicated that FP-10 was
    superior to other luricants tested. They did not include Mobile 1 in
    their testing.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lets clear up some myths

Miltec means nothing except it was spec. Started out as a private here and moved up- undergrad engineering degree, so not without some information here- so forget that logic about miltec- it might be speced for varying conditions but always automatic rifle firing

The oil tested in that one report I cited was straight 30 weight- I know wolfheads has been used for racing but dont know if it is a synthetic or what

Next someone asked about repackaged used oil- funny you asked- I mentioned using STP to a very well known shooter- next thing I know he buys a 55 gallon drum of the stuff and mixes it with some lighter oil and sells it in these little applicator bottles

Now shotgun lubrication for over and under or signle barrel trap guns is not rocket science- you want something that will adhere in all weather conditions and is slick. I also believe that the oil can float the parts and even out possibly an uneven surface to surface distance along the bearing line

Finally- try some- if you dont believe - just dab some mobile one or some stp on your bearing surfaces

I will guarantee I have done the trick with stiff brownings at gun clubs around the country== a bottle of stp will last for years and mobile one for longer

BTW there was a company that did nothing but lubrication research for additives(99 percent car and truck oil additives) that employed in its heyday several hundred people= right around from where I lived in Ohio- check it out- I think the name is Lubrizol

Regards from Iowa

Gene

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Again, as I always said, how does your engine run? RPM & temperature compare to your shotgun? Would you think your engine needs better, much better lubricants than a shotgun?

If Mobile 1 is one of the best lubricants for your average 2000~3000 RPM engine under extremely high temperatures, would it be just fine (if not over kill) for the metal parts of your shotgun?

Because the amount of usage of gun lubricants are so little, we can afford to use those fancy gun oils came in a small bottle. But I seriously doubt they are any better than Mobil 1.

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Mix up some vasaline and mineral oil. It will probably work
    to. Buy lubricants that are formulated for firearms, not automobiles.
    Totally different application.

16. chipking

chipking TS Member

One small thing to remember your car has a system that keeps the oil circulating so there is fresh oil always being applied. Your shotgun does not. The hi viscosity oil MAY stay in place or it MAY NOT. Firearms specific gun oils usually leave a film of some type (teflon or such)that MAY or MAY not keep the joint lubed after the oil is gone. So I use grease on any metal to metal moving contact points and RIG on anything else to prevent rust.

--- Chip King ---

17. klf

klf Member

I use Mobil 1 5w20 and Mobil 1 synthetic wheel bearing grease on my Browning. It gives excellent results. As for gun oil I think you could pizz in a bottle of sewing machine oil and give it a catchy name and sell it to gun owners as the greatest lube ever. It would sell like hotcakes.

18. Lovemy99

Lovemy99 Member

Are you using the Mobil 1 just on the metal to meatl bearing points or wiping the whole gun down with it? Currently I use grease on the bearing points and Rem-oil on the surfaces.

19. dhip

dhip Active Member

Us fisherman also use Rocket fuel to clean our reels and lube bearings.Great stuff,bearing hand spun will run several minutes just sitting on table after treatment.I doubt you could use it on a gun though.It is flammable. LMAO

Doug H.

20. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

JFYI, when it comes to lube used in the military, there was a time that you used what they issued to you. In Iraq, individual units would purchase whatever they were convinced was the thing to use. There was also a warning letter distributed, that warned against purchasing certain cleverly named , so-called "milspec" lubes.
    There were more salesmen in Iraq that there were terrorists.

MK19's need a specific lubricant, but the majority of military weapons will work with just about anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mobil 1 15w50 for rifle

mobil 1 oil for gun lubrication