1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MO State Shoot 100 per Trap ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JJM, Apr 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJM

JJM Member

Question is are they shooting 100 targets per trap this year?

2. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

No,,,50 per,,,

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

20 per station would be a quick fix? :) Hap

4. shamlin

shamlin Member

Whoa, let me get this straight.......the Missouri State Shoot is shooting 50 per trap! Is this a small venue they are shooting at? All I hear is how great and how much money is at this shoot. But if they are shooting 100 bird events on only 2 traps, I'm staying home.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Suit yourself, Shamlin.

Hauxfan!

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

We did 100 per trap at the Alabama State last year. It seemed to work fine.

7. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

100 per trap sure eliminates the bitching about target setting.

Bob Lawless

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If your traps are reasonably similar, 100 per trap is the only logical way to run a shoot.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Shamlin has better things to do then sit around and shoot trap all day!!!

10. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

Is that Shamlin fishing or is he truly confused?????

11. shamlin

shamlin Member

Wow, you guys are unbelievable! I make one comment and you pounce like a pack of wolves! You all must be bored to death and can't bitch at your wives. I was commenting to the fact that an event as big as a State Shoot not rotating 4 traps per 100 was suprising. I can understand if they have un-forseen weather or trap breakdowns and need to finish the event. Like most venues, traps can vary significantly. They don't all throw out the same targets. For someone that has never shot there and not familiar with the banks, this could be a disadvantage. Now that I have defended myself I will expect to see more pouncing! Have at it!

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That was funny.....

13. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Sham......no.....SHAM-WOW !!!!

14. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

The big money is at the Missouri Fall Handicap. Not the Missouri State Shoot. If you have not been there shooting on 1 trap, 2 traps, or 4 traps probably does not make a lot of difference. Some traps have a lot different back ground but you would have to move more than 2 or 3 traps over to make a big difference. There are 60 traps (probably only about 45 of them will be used for the State shoot) so it spreads out over a large area.

15. ivanhoe

shamlin

"For someone that has never shot there and not familiar with the banks, this could be a disadvantage. Now that I have defended myself I will expect to see more pouncing!"

It is not a case of pouncing it is a case of common sense. Any club that can accommodate 50 squads at 25 per field. Can accommodate 100 squads at 50 per field. Also can accommodate and 200 squads at 100 per field at least in theory.

Just more bang for the buck.

Bob Lawless

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- Your theory is flawed. The time lost in shooting 25 per trap is at the beginning and end of the event. When the first squad begins, there are three unused traps on the bank. All traps on the bank are not filled until something like 45 minutes after the event begins. The same thing happens at the end of an event.

Shooting 100 birds on a trap can be very good, sometimes. But what would happen if the wave system is used at a club with 10 traps and 55 shooters sign up for the event? Then it becomes a great waste of time. Nine traps would be empty for about 1 hour while the remaining squad shoot 100 birds.

Personally, I like to shoot either 25 per trap or 50 per trap (either 5 or 10 per post) or 100 per trap--- I don't care which one is used. I just like to shoot. But- I hate to waste time when I work or shoot. The most efficient system, omitting 10 per post, can only be determined after all shooters have signed up for an event, but the management must decide on a system several weeks prior to a shoot.

Hap made a spurious suggestion of 20 birds per post. This would not work for me. We would have to put 2-3 boxes of shells on the ground at different posts. I would likely step on a squad mates shells when changing posts and, considering the squads I usually shoot with, we would end up with the wrong shells.

Pat Ireland

17. ivanhoe

Pat Ireland

"Bob- Your theory is flawed. The time lost in shooting 25 per trap is at the beginning and end of the event. When the first squad begins, there are three unused traps on the bank. All traps on the bank are not filled until something like 45 minutes after the event begins. The same thing happens at the end of an event."

Pat using your layout 10 traps and 25 per field you would be starting 2 squads at a time. If you shoot 100 per field you could start 10 squads at a time. No moving or waiting for the shooter that seems to get lost or stops along the way to rest.

It certainly won't work at small shoots but I don't understand why it wouldn't work at larger ones.

Bob Lawless

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pat, I see your point in destroying others shell boxes stepping on them and possibly kicking them all over when changing stations. That's a problem for guys with big feet huh? :) When you shoot doubles, you carry two full boxes to the line already? Whats two more boxes on the other side, might balance you out better? Surely adding weight to a shooter could be a plus? We'll allow you time to reach behind the line for your last box too! That way you are less apt to kick the boxes and mix them up while catching your breath. We may be able to complete 600 targets a day under that scenario, instead of the normal 300? :) Hap

19. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Compared to 25 per field 100 per field picks up time in the following ways:

At the start, you gain 3 rounds per 4 field bank, second round 2, third round 1 for a total of 6 rounds or, the equivalent of 1.5 squads per 4 field bank.

Rotating fields, all the squads that shoot that bank can only shoot as fast as the slowest moving squad. With 100 per field, slow squads only hold up the squads on that one field.

In rotation, short squads can't finish any faster than the full squad they are following. On a single field, all the following squads benefit from the shorter time a short squad take to finish.

To avoid having empty fields at the end while the last squad shoots, you watch the fields and put your last squads on the fields that finish first.

Unless you only have 2 or 4 fields, so that everyone shoots the same fields, having squads shoot different banks is no more fair than just having squads shoot single fields. In fact, the concept of rotating fields at large shoots is one of the dumbest things in trapshooting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.