1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MO Fall Handicap Winner writes bad check

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by reloadmaster, Dec 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reloadmaster

reloadmaster TS Member

Imagine my surprise recently to pick up the most recent issue of Trap and Field and find a picture of Mark Schwake on the cover. The very same Mr. Schwake who had written me a bad check at the very same Fall Handicap for an amount approaching $500.00. If a shooter writes a bad check to a gun club, that shooter is stripped of his ATA membership. Where is the protection for those of us vendors who take a check in good faith and then later find out it is no good?
    Mike Graf
    Graf's Reloading
    St. Charles, MO

2. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

I would be calling the sheriff of the county in which the bad check was given for payment. He could give you some help.

3. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Your situation happened in Missouri and they prosecute bad checks and extradite from other states. Ohio does not. I was issued a bad check from Richard Riggle (New Hampshire) for 1000.00 in Ohio (Grand). There is a warrant for him but Ohio will not extradite on a bad check (said they were not in the collection business). I wonder what part of stealing 1000.00 of my money they don't understand???...merlyn

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I'm not sure if the ATA would get involved but it being a registered shoot they might have a little clout and be able to help you out ... Its got to be worth a try or you can do as was stated above ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

This is not the kind of situation the ATA would, or should, get involved with. It is unfortunate that the legal system favors people who write bad checks and don't pay their bills.

Pat Ireland

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I certainly hope you have been in contact with Mark about this matter. I just can't imagine something like this happening knowing Mark.

Personally I think there are ways to handle situations like this and a website sure as hell isn't one of them. Particularly in such a short time frame. I guess we all have our own version of good business ethics!!!

By your comments the rest of you have Mark guilty of writing the check with intent to defraud and like I said I'm sure something went wrong and its an unintended act if was indeed his own fault.

7. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

likes to shoot, What do you mean short timeframe??? It has been over 2 months!!!

8. likes-to-shoot

When did he get into contact with Mark? Did Mark refuse to pay? How much time elapsed before Mark was even contacted, if he even was? There are many facts that were excluded from the post. Facts that are stated are one sided I might add!!!

So how much time does all that take Champion???

9. reloadmaster

reloadmaster TS Member

Well, likes-to-shoot, this forum was actually my last resort. The check written was written on a closed account, which is a felony. I did contact Mark, with no results. Now, the phone number I originally reached him at has been disconnected. Finally, I spoke with the ATA, who informed me that a bad check written to a gun club is under their authority but not one written to an individual vendor, My next step will be to follow the advice of Russ-in-PA and contact the sheriff's office in the county where the check was written.
    Mike Graf

10. Champion II

likes to shoot, If the facts are one sided it is best to get your buddy on here so he gets to give his side. It doesn't say stopped payment it said bad check.... as I said 2 months. In that time he should have made it good there is no reason to chase someone for a check.

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Anyone know Mr Schwake? It would be interesting to hear what he has to say.

12. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I think there was a Mark Schhwake that shot at Otter Creek Gun Club in Cedar Rapids today.

I take it there is only one and he is from Iowa?

Hauxfan!

13. likes-to-shoot

Mike..... I hope everything works out. A business deal is a business deal, both sides should be equally satisfied in the transaction. I guess I just don't agree with trashing someone on the net.

Champion...I said I knew him, not that he is my buddy.

14. oneidcharlie

oneidcharlie Member

Likestoshoot, This is not the first time that your friend has passed some bad paper. Charlie

15. Champion II

likes to shoot, If you know him.... get ahold of him, ask him to contact Mike....and give his phone number and address to Mike Graf. You stuck up for him ....give him a call... help both sides out. The way he then handles it you will find out if it is the guy you know or it a guy you think you know?? Good luck to you for helping both people solve a problem.

16. Hellcat

Hellcat TS Member

You should be commended for exposing Mark Schwake's bad character. It may prevent more innocent people from being taken advantage of.

I'd like to note that although the ATA has no jurisdiction over this matter - the ATA should closely monitor these people. A person who will cheat you out of money would have no qualms about cheating you in sport. It makes you wonder about how Mark Schwake came to win.

Likes-to-shoot, take off your skirt!

17. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Not sure anyone trashed old Markie except himself!? Mike just stated the facts and if the truth hurts, so be it! Tom Rhoads

18. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

By the way, do any of you on here know this Riggle slimeball?! Tom Rhoads

19. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone that writes a bad check!

The writer should have known, and then contacted Mike about the situation!

Bad check writers always blame someone else!!

Allen

20. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I can only hope that both are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

mark schwake