1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MO Fall Handicap - What Happened?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Texshooter, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

up, anyone care to discuss?

2. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

The calcutta had about 150 shooters in it. The weather was mild to warm on all the days. Wind played a big part most days. In would say the scores were down because of this. The MTA worked hard and put on a good shoot. This was my first time there and I will go back. The people there were great. Jeanne, Bob, and Lyndle were very helpful and would do anything to help you out with the camping, squading and general questions. I would highly recommend Linn Creek for a quality shoot.

3. RLC323

RLC323 Member

This shoot was always considered a "money shoot" even before it moved to Linn Creek from Mexico. It grew along with the popularity of the sport in the late 80's, until a few years ago.

The money has gone out of it for a couple reasons. The perception is that short yardage "target management experts" occasionally skinned the purses. Couple that with the the "big-dogs" who knocked off the money the rest of the time. The average trapshooter lost hope that a fair game could be found there, so he has kept his money in his pocket. Not just in Missouri, but option entries are down everywhere, the money is mostly out of this game and not likely to return if things do not change.

The format change for the weekend did not seem to excite anyone this year. People who do not play the handicap money want to shoot all three disciplines every day, that is why pre-Grand remains popular.

Banks held for the "big dogs" in front of the clubhouse, the usual mud or lack of gravel, $29 targets, expensive motel rooms, and so on make it easy to find an excuse not to go there.

4. rocktire

rocktire Member

I was there and had a great time, can't speak for anyone elso though.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Just wish I coulda gone...maybe catch the Spring shoot at Linn Creek. Regards, Ed

6. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

Ed says the weather saturday and sunday sucked, GW11 what are you talking about mild to warm, it was cold 25 miles an hour wind from the North East and 50 degrees is not mild to warm, Friday was awsum, the weekend sucked, the staff and linn creek was great I love shooting there, I have shot there for the state shoot and fall handicap for four years and the weather permitting i will shoot there again. Ed says he will not. Thanks Stan

7. GoldTrigger

GoldTrigger Member

Well I think that some of you were at a different shoot than some of us were at. The temperatures were cool and wind was not a problem till the weekend. Even then it was less than any real problem. I agree about the staff at Linn Creek all have been nothing but helpful and friendly to my wife and myself. Bob Rush could not do any more for the campers, and the rest of the help seems eager to get shooters settled and on the line on time. The vendors have just about everything someone could need. Guns, both highline types (Merlyn, Rod Taylor) plus any midline guns from several vendors, Great selection of Glasses, on site custom molded ear plugs, Custom embroidery on hats and shirts while you waited, Missouri Fall Handicap clothing from Mary and her husband (now setup in the permanent vendor building). Graf's was there with reloading supplies.

As for mud did you really look around ? all new gravel on the camping area from banks 25 down to the practice traps in front of vendor building. nice and level now for setting up.

Also someone mentioned the cost of staying here was high... Where have you been rooming at? With the lake season over the resorts and condo's on the lake are as cheap as anywhere you can stay. Just look around and get prices to compare. Any type food you could want in either Camdenton or Osage Beach.

I am just here to say we had a great time and I certainly hope a lot of you did as well. I can not wait till spring team shoot and a whole new season...

Everyone have a nice winter and get those reloaders humming now....

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I was at my son's wedding, otherwise we would have been there for sure. It's a great place to go and shoot. I do wish that they would do something about the mud, if they could, though. Especially in the camping areas and drives.

9. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I was only able to shoot Tuesday through Thursday, but I had a great time. I renewed some old friendships and met new friends as well.

By the way, the results and payouts are now available at MO-Traps. http://www.motraps.com/event_results.asp

I hope I can attend the State shoot next year as well as the 2011 Fall Handicap.

Allen

10. larrycrismond

larrycrismond Member

First, there were 192 shooters in the calcutta. It was breezy and cool, but the targets were good for the circumstances. I thought that the shoot was run as efficiently as any I've seen, and the staff was courteous. The only shortcoming was the price of shells at $85 for premiums and $70 for Gun Clubs, Estates, etc. Al Kropp, a C shooter, had his 1st 100 straight in the afternoon of the 200 bird singles event for a 196 class win. Targets couldn't have been that bad!
    I'm looking forward to shooting the event again.

11. shooter99

Stumpi24, I'm from Wisconsin, the temps were not that bad. I was in shorts.

12. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

Interesting Payout info (posted on motraps.com
    Event 10 Singles Championship - 200 straight paid app $1500.
    Event 12 Handicap 99 paid app $4300.
    Event 13 (50 birds) 50 straight paid $1800.
    Event 14 Handicap 99 paid $3200 plus a new Browning Citori XT
    Event 15 Handicap 25 on 1st or 3rd trap paid $330! 95 paid about $4000
    Event 16 Handicap (50 bird) 50 straight paid $2600.
    Event 17 Handicap 25 paid over $100 on each field. 96 paid about $4000.

Pretty good payouts if you ask me!
    Beau

13. shooter99

Beau69,On event 14 the 99 hit lewis and the Browning XT was a lewis class. The 99 was the only one so they did not shoot off for it. The 90 I shot hit lewis and I got an XT also. So did the winner in the third lewis class (86).

14. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

You guys are talking about how the weekend was not that cold and the targets were not that bad but look at beau69 talk about the payoffs, Ed says he shot a 49 in the derby on friday and it paid him 3.50, fifty straight paid 600.00, GW11 said he shot in shorts, thats fine, but with the fifty degrees and the wind blowing out of the North Sunday especially sucked. Stan

15. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Everyone has internet or hears about the scores from other shoots. Check out the scores from Vernal the week before Missouri on 500 handicap.

How many guys are going to bet they can get in the option money at Missouri or the calcutta and shoot those kind of scores.

Missouri was a great shoot the weather got cool a couple days but they ran a great shoot.

The game has changed and the average guy won't gamble much, the old days with the big calcutta money is over.

2010 VERNAL FALL HANDICAP
    (09/10/2010 - 09/12/2010)

E1 (H) E2 (H) E3 (H) E4 (H) E5 (H)

HARRISON I I I LEO MO 99 99 98 97 98

MARSHALL JR RICHARD NE 97 97 95 96 98

STAFFORD L RAY CO 96 98 95 100 98

KINER PHIL E WY 94 94 94 100 94

WILLIAMS GERRY AZ 98 98 93 97 96

KELLY DAVID CA 95 94 95 94 98

REED TIM M SD 97 96 99 96 98

Terry.

16. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I think there was a typo by Stumpi24 when he said that a 49 in the Friday Derby paid 3.50. According to the payout on Friday, it would have been more like at least $100+ and maybe $350 depending on the yardage group the person fell into. On Saturday a 49 in the Derby would have paid over $1000.00

17. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

Frostyman, how are you doing, no typo, Ed Grubbs from lincoln ne, 26yd line, pd 58.50 with 13 49's take out entry wich pd Ed 3.50 some cents maybe 3.59 no typo, I am not trying to run down shoot, the people and shoot are the best,
    We have shot this shoot spring and fall for five years and will continue to do so, the weather has sucked for most of these years. Thanks Stan

18. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

But Stan, you left out the yardage group win of $136.50.

So Mr. Grubbs actually won $140 (less the $50 entry).

19. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

I shot the lone 50 straight in Saturday's Wolf derby and it paid over $2500.00. Had a great MO Fall Handicap, plan to attend every year. Its the biggest money shoot in the midwest other than the Grand.

Maltzie

20. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

They show the banks in the presquad. Anybody can shoot on any bank they want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.