1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MN Permit Holder WILL NOT Be Charged !!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by primed, Oct 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Just an update without all the clutter.

10/28/2011 Hennepin County prosecutor, Mike Freeman, announced that no charges would be brought against the good samaritan who shot and killed the armed robber in this case.

The robber's sister was charged with aiding and abetting in this case and two counts of aggravated first-degree robbery for other activities, according to a criminal complaint.

Their mother was captured on video attempting to cash checks from one of her daughter's robberies. A close knit family I guess.

"While this man is to be commended for helping his fellow citizen in need, a note of caution is appropriate," Freeman said in a statement. (Incident one)

Apparently the good samaritan chased the robber with his car (incident two) and shot the robber after the robber pointed a gun at him. That was self defense according to the county prosecutor. (incident three)

"If the scenario above were correct, the actions taken may be perfectly legal but likely still ILL ADVISED." Please don't try this at home.

So endeth the speculation about criminal charges in Minnesota. All is well in Minnesota and the law is still the law (written in English for most to understand).

2. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

All's well that ends well. Still, a lesson here, as noted by the DA. A CCW license does not turn a citizen into a "defacto" law enforcement officer. It is for self defense and protection, and acting as an LEO, chasing down a bad guy who is posing " no immediate threat to you or your family" is not likely a very smart move.

Jim R

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm missing what he did wrong.
    If your in your vehicle, on your phone, directing the Le to him, and he points his gun at you, and you cap his ass, err, sorry, fire in self defense. That's an issue??

4. primed

primed Well-Known Member

Hey Tim

I would not have done that myself. You and Nancy dress warm if you're going to Minneapolis. I have 23 on my thermometer.

Bob

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

He is ONE LUCKY SOB! Glad he got out of it, but he could have easily spent the next five years in court.

The scumbag family could still try to shake the money tree in civil court.

6. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Again, I am a CCW instructor in Minnesota and I am glad this fellow will not be prosecuted. He's extremely lucky that some bogus charge was not laid on his head. That could have been the case; it wasn't, and the Minneapolis court system got it right...

Future permit holders: do not follow this line of reasoning -- the odds are not in your corner....

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Future permit holds now have a precedent.

8. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Kids, don't try this at home.

9. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

But as it was said earlier, now the lawsuits will push him into bankruptcy.
    dju

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I doubt it.

11. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Sounds like the whole family is in jail to me. Oscar

12. primed

primed Well-Known Member

13. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Usual disclaimer, anything I say is not gospel and another attorney may have a different opinion. As the civil suit idea has been tossed out, the idea that a case could be brought is a very real possibility. Could a PI attorney file such a suit, yes. Is it possibly a successful case, perhaps. Good idea? In my opinion, not really.

First, where's the money to satisfy the judgment? I seriously doubt this guy's homeowners insurance will cover it. So how is the PI attorney going to get paid after the case is over? And this will likely not settle out of court, so the PI attorney will be fronting several thousand dollars to prepare for trial that may not be successful. Also, what kind of witness will this guy be? Will the jury find him credible in his testimony? All the above factors and alot more come into play.

The deceased will play a part in a possible trial as well as the family. Are they credible witnesses? Can you impeach them with prior bad acts and will a jury be able to relate to them? It's possible both ways, depends on the judge. What about the facts, is one party more negligent than another?

Juries are skeptical creatures at best. Given the facts that are reported in the Mpls Star & Sickle, I'm not sure a plaintiff would be successful.

Hal Hitchcock

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.