1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mixing shot sizes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jim_Gary, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim_Gary

Jim_Gary TS Member

Has anyone ever tried mixing 7 1/2 & 8 shot together to reload Or 8 & 8 1/2. By mixing them, I mean putting both shot sizes into a container and equally mixing them and then putting them into the reloader so the load is a combination of both shot sizes? I have often thought of it but am not sure if it would be legal or safe. It seems as though it might make for a tighter pattern as the smaller shot might fill in some if the voids between the larger shot sizes. I may be crazy but just wondered if any of our reloaders have tried it and what results they had.
    Jim Gary

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Been there done that. It works fine but no noticable advantage. Its legal to use in registered Trap as far as the ATA rules go. I do it sometimes with leftovers but use them for practice only.

Matt

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I think if you were to open a new bag of shot or a couple factory loads(any brand) & measure a couple dozen pellets with a mike you would find that much variation. I have seen many double & triple pellets that formed together in the shot making process. Don't think I would notice any difference. Ross Puls

4. missed some

missed some TS Member

I bet a 5x7.5 duplex load of copper plated would make a great handicap load

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I know that some of the game shooters used to shoot mixed shot and a few of them had some success ... I couldn't imagine why it would not work as long as you didn't get carried away and start loading extreme different sizes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Remington use to have a "Duplex" target load with two different sizes of shot. Not that long ago.

7. skidrowe7

skidrowe7 Member

If you're loading reclaimed shot, there's a 100% chance it's mixed! I haven't heard anyone complaining about its effectiveness.

8. skidrowe7

skidrowe7 Member

If you're loading reclaimed shot, there's a 100% chance it's mixed! I haven't heard anyone complaining about its effectiveness.

9. skidrowe7

skidrowe7 Member

10. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Remington also loaded game loads in the Duplex. They went over like the proverbial pregnant high jumper.

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The last time I ran 75 straight was with mixed shot from reclaimed shells. I'm sure there was a little variation in payload, but the targets never knew the difference.

The mixture of shot was everything from 7 1/2's - 8 1/2's. It wasn't a proportionet mix.

ss

12. Jim_Gary

Jim_Gary TS Member

Just for the Heck of it, I am going to load a few boxes of 7 1/2 & 8 1/2 shot shells and see how I might like it. Seems as though if Remington tried it at one time they must have thought it would have some useful purpose. I will load all the 2 size shots into a bowl and mix it as well as possible and load them up. I will let you know the results as soon as the weather warms up enough to try them out. Still pretty cold here in NY. Jim

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What really works well is when a bunch of shot hits the target. Majic ammo is not the key.

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

It was just a sales gimmick a few years back. If it had any advantage, they would still be doing it. Clyde D

15. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I have mixed new and home made shot. It seemed to help it flow better in my loader. Broke targets great.

Rich in Indiana

16. Tracer

Tracer Member

I have about 2 1/2 cents worth to add to this thread about mixed shot. As a distributor for West Coast shot I handled the Green Earth reclaimed shot they produced. It came in 7.5 and MIXED shot. The mixed shot was not run through the classifier at the factory. It was cleaned, and graffited and bagged. I took it to the club and gave it to the members to try. The sizes varied from #6 to 8.5. I can't explain why, but it broke the tragets harder then the un-mixed shot when used on the 16 yard clear back to the 27. 18 guys checked it out and only 1 said he couldn't see any difference. The Northwest brand of targets we use here don't "powder" like the White Fliers, but a good hit shatters them. I sold all 10 tons I had to the club. Unfortunitally, Robbin told me that West Coast will not be supplying Green Earth reclaimed shot any more. So that's my "for what it's worth."

Del

17. Jim_Gary

Jim_Gary TS Member

My thought is that it may make a slightly fuller pattern as the smaller shot will fill some of the air voids in the shell. It should also make for a slightly longer shot string at the longer yardages. Just a thought and something to keep me busy in these cold winter months here in New York. Been a cold year ever since the end of November and shows no sign of changing soon. From what I have seen the weather is crazy all over the US. Lots of my friends from down South have had as much snow and cold as we have. Jim

18. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

A longer shot string is a bad thing, not a good thing.

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have mixed the home made shot and factory shot together before. It works great. The reason I did so, I was running low on home make shot and I needed more shot. I bought one bag and mixed it all together for the fun of it and it worked better then I thought.

20. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Man, it must be winter time....how can anyone speculate what happens with mixed shot sizes. What do you think happens, if the small shot doesn't get the target up close, then the larger shot can still get further out??? C'mon guys, give us a break (so to speak). I have to go with Wolfram above, just hit the target, it doesn't care what size shot brings it down.

Pray for summertime...all in good fun!

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can you mix shot sizes in reloading shot shells
loading mixed shot

mixed shot loads

mixed shot size for trap

mixed shot sizes in reclaimed shot
mixing shot sizes
mixing shot sizes reloading